Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
661 Discussions

OpenCL environment : Couldn't open /dev/aocl0

Ran-GUO
Beginner

Hello,

There is something wrong with the OpenCL environment of my custom BSP.

I created a custom BSP with only bridge hps2fpga (disable lwhps2fpga) by qsys (quartus standard 18.0) and compiled an OpenCL kernel, generated the binary file opencl.rbf by OpenCL SDK 18.0. Following the GSRD, I created the preloader, device tree, Linux kernel image (Linux 3.18) and so on.

To set the OpenCL environment, I follow the instructions on this site:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683435/17-1/compiling-and-installing-the-opencl.html

cross compile the aocl runtime driver with right kernel version and regenerate the aclsoc_drv.ko file. I run the init_opencl.sh file, including insmod aclsoc_drv.ko, it works well, I can find it by lsmod.

But when I execute "aocl program /dev/acl0 helloworld.aocx", it says:

Couldn't open /dev/acl0 device! Did you load the driver?

aocl program: Program failed.

And when I run "ls /dev", no acl0 listed there! How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ran-GUO,

Are you working with a custom board?

Can try to troublshoot the issue with a default BSP?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Ran-GUO
Beginner

Hi Aik,

I use the DE10 standard board (CycloneV). It works well with the default BSP that I downloaded from the Terasic site. 

The OpenCL driver can not be well installed with my custom BSP.

Thanks,

Ran

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ran-GUO,

I may not understand correctly regarding the custom BSP that you mentioned.

Can troubleshoot by considering the OpenCl driver installation without customizing the default BSP?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ran-GUO,

Other than that, can check if you are following the step 6 and 7 correctly from the document you used as reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683435/17-1/compiling-and-installing-the-opencl.html

As for the final steps, invoke the aocl diagnose utility command. What will be the logs that showing. Can share the logs to me as a reference.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Ran-GUO
Beginner

Hi Aikeu,

The custom BSP means I have modified the platform interconnect, I use the AXI bus H2F connect hps and fpga rather than lwH2F.

I am following the step 6 and 7 correctly, and we can find the module aclsoc_drv has been well installed.

Invoking the aocl diagnose utility command, the logs shows :

Board name /dev/acl0 is not available

DIAGNOSTIC_FAILED

Call "aocl diagnose <device-names>" to run diagnose for specified devices
Call "aocl diagnose all" to run diagnose for all devices

Then I run "ls /dev", no acl0 listed there. Theoretically, it should be added when we run "source init_opencl.sh", right?

Thanks,

Ran

RanGUO_1-1659692708848.png

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ran-GUO,

I not sure that the your modification on the BSP is valid or not, can try to look into this document regarding modifying OpenCL BSP to check if any missing important consideration required.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/programmable/support-resources/design-guidance/opencl-bsp-support.html

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ran-GUO,

May I know how was the latest follow up using the reference document which I provided?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ran-GUO,

May I know does the issue already resolved on your side?

I will close this thread if there is no further question.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Ran-GUO,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Thanks,

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos