Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
663 Discussions

Support for GPU and FPGA programming

Gao__Chao
Beginner

Hi, I was wondering , does OneAPI support GPU and FPGA programming in the same code? I found the tutorial didn't give out a very specific idea.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

Intel oneapi has samples that support cpu,gpu and fpga.You can find those samples in oneapi-cli in devcloud.You can find the links to similar samples below.Try these samples to know more about it.

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneAPI-samples/tree/master/DirectProgramming/DPC%2B%2B/DenseLinearAlgebra/simple-add

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneAPI-samples/tree/master/DirectProgramming/DPC%2B%2B/DenseLinearAlgebra/vector-add

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Gao__Chao
Beginner

Hi, 

sorry to bother you again, I don't think this is what I am looking for, I was wondering whether I can write up a DPC++ file which support GPU and FPGA work in parallel. I was wondering whether this can be achieved in one single file?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Yes,this is possible by launching 2 kernels with different device selector. One kernel with gpu_selector and other with intel::fpga_selector. As the kernel call is asynchronous they both will work parallelly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Gao__Chao
Beginner

Hi,

Could you give me some examples?

I didn't find any example which implements GPU and FPGA in two kernel in the same DPC++ file, also, the compile make file is also different I guess, how do we compile that?

Thanks

Chao

0 Kudos
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Chao,

I am assuming that you want to implement your code parallelly on iGPU and fpga_emulator.

Please find the below code sample which will run a simple vector add on iGPU and fpga_emulator.

#include <iostream>
#include <CL/sycl.hpp>
#include <CL/sycl/intel/fpga_extensions.hpp>
#define N 10

int main(int, char**) {

float *d1_a=(float *)malloc(N*sizeof(float));
        float *d1_b=(float *)malloc(N*sizeof(float));
        float *d1_c=(float *)malloc(N*sizeof(float));

float *d2_a=(float *)malloc(N*sizeof(float));
        float *d2_b=(float *)malloc(N*sizeof(float));
        float *d2_c=(float *)malloc(N*sizeof(float));

for(long int i=0;i<N;i++){
                d1_a[i]=i;
                d1_b[i]=N-i;
                d2_a[i]=i;
                d2_b[i]=N-i;
        }

auto exception_handler = [] (cl::sycl::exception_list exceptions) {
            for (std::exception_ptr const& e : exceptions) {
                try {
                        std::rethrow_exception(e);
                } catch(cl::sycl::exception const& e) {
                std::cout << "Caught asynchronous SYCL exception:\n"<< e.what() << std::endl;
                }
            }
        };

cl::sycl::queue queue_d1(cl::sycl::gpu_selector{}, exception_handler);
        cl::sycl::queue queue_d2(cl::sycl::intel::fpga_emulator_selector{}, exception_handler);
        /*std::cout << "Running on "
                << queue_d2.get_device().get_info<cl::sycl::info::device::name>()
                << "\n";
                */

{
                cl::sycl::buffer<float, 1> d1_a_sycl{d1_a, cl::sycl::range<1>{N} };
                cl::sycl::buffer<float, 1> d1_b_sycl{d1_b, cl::sycl::range<1>{N} };
                cl::sycl::buffer<float, 1> d1_c_sycl{d1_c, cl::sycl::range<1>{N} };

cl::sycl::buffer<float, 1> d2_a_sycl{d2_a, cl::sycl::range<1>{N} };
                cl::sycl::buffer<float, 1> d2_b_sycl{d2_b, cl::sycl::range<1>{N} };
                cl::sycl::buffer<float, 1> d2_c_sycl{d2_c, cl::sycl::range<1>{N} };

queue_d1.submit([&] (cl::sycl::handler& cgh) {
                                auto a_acc = d1_a_sycl.get_access<cl::sycl::access::mode::read>(cgh);
                                auto b_acc = d1_b_sycl.get_access<cl::sycl::access::mode::read>(cgh);
                                auto c_acc = d1_c_sycl.get_access<cl::sycl::access::mode::discard_write>(cgh);

cgh.parallel_for<class vector_addition_d1>(cl::sycl::range<1>{ N }, [=](cl::sycl::id<1> idx) {
                                                c_acc[idx] = a_acc[idx] + b_acc[idx];

});
                });

queue_d2.submit([&] (cl::sycl::handler& cgh) {
                                auto a_acc = d2_a_sycl.get_access<cl::sycl::access::mode::read>(cgh);
                                auto b_acc = d2_b_sycl.get_access<cl::sycl::access::mode::read>(cgh);
                                auto c_acc = d2_c_sycl.get_access<cl::sycl::access::mode::discard_write>(cgh);

cgh.parallel_for<class vector_addition_d2>(cl::sycl::range<1>{ N }, [=](cl::sycl::id<1> idx) {
                                                c_acc[idx] = a_acc[idx] + b_acc[idx];

});
                });

}

try {
                queue_d1.wait_and_throw();
                queue_d2.wait_and_throw();
        }catch (cl::sycl::exception const& e) {
                std::cout << "Caught synchronous SYCL exception:\n"<< e.what() << std::endl;
        }

for(int i=0;i<N;i++)
                std::cout<<d1_c[i]<<" ";

std::cout<<std::endl;

for(long int i=0;i<N;i++)
                std::cout<<d2_c[i]<<" ";

std::cout<<std::endl;

return 0;
}

You can change the device selector according to your use-case.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
Gao__Chao
Beginner

Hi,

I already did this before, I am actually looking for a solution for using GPU and FPGA instead of just emulator.

the problem I am now facing is I can't compile the file, you see that GPU and FPGA need two different compile instruction in makefile.

I didn't find any workflow that intel example, I suppose you can use one file to make CPU, FPGA and GPU works in parallel?

For example, I want to partition one matrix to three part and do three partial multiple in CPU, GPU, FPGA within one node, is this possible? 

Thanks

Chao

0 Kudos
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Chao,

We are moving this thread to the FPGA forum (https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-High-Level-Design/bd-p/high-level-design) where the experts in FPGA will guide you in your query.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
AnilErinch_A_Intel
0 Kudos