Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
663 Discussions

Ubuntu 20.04 + OneAPI + Arria 10 GX: Installing FPGA driver

Gabriel4
Beginner

Hi, we received some time ago an arria 10 GX board, and it is currently cased in an Ubuntu 20.04 box. I can build OneAPI designs targeting the Arria 10 GX board without any issues inside a docker container all the way to a binary (incl bitstream). Using the latest version of OneAPI, I believe these bitstreams are compatible with Acceleration Stack 1.2.1.

The problem I am currently having  is running those designs on this machine. I believe I need to install the FPGA driver and OPAE. Has anyone manage to do that in Ubuntu 20.04? Another complication I found is that when I do lcpi, I get: 

01:00.0 Processing accelerators: Altera Corporation Device 2494 (rev 01)

Is this incompatible with PCI ID 0x09C4, which seems to be the official PCI ID for those cards? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Gabriel4,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope all is well and apologies for the delayed in response.
Previously you are running successfully in a windows machine with ubuntu 20 virtual box?
And what are the current machine that you are having problem running on?

As for the installation I believe you may follow steps here for linux machine.
Official PCIe ID for card can be refer to in the data sheet here.
Please do let us know if that help to clarify.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
Gabriel4
Beginner

Thank you for your email. Sorry for the misunderstanding, here is the issue:

=> I currently have Ubuntu 20.04 running on the host (no virtual box), I think it is clear to me that OneAPI requires 18.04 because it has the required kernel version.

=> I think the larger issue is whether I can install OneAPI with the Arria10 board that we have installed, which does not match the Official PCIEe ID card that I see in the documentation. Mine says:

01:00.0 Processing accelerators: Altera Corporation Device 2494 (rev 01)

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Gabriel4,

Thanks for the explanation, it seems that what you are asking is if you can use the Arria 10 GX development kit for oneAPI PCIe development?
Per my understanding for now it supports Arria 10 PAC for now, but theoretically it is possible as I see both are supporting pcie x8.
For that I might suggest you can evaluate that by utilizing the intel devcloud platform for ease access.
Hope that clarify your doubts.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Gabriel4,

Good day, just checking in to see if there is any further doubts in regards to this matter.
Hope we have clarify your doubts.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Gabriel4,

Greetings, as we do not receive any further clarification on what is provided. Hence thread will now be transitioned to community support and we will no longer monitor this thread. For new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
Gabriel4
Beginner

Hi thanks for your reply. My question was regarding the specific board (Arria 10) we have, which doesn't report (lspci) to be an Intel board but an Altera board, which might indicate it is not the latest revision. I think at this point we will definitely stick to devcloud. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos