Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

Understanding Avalon-MM master in HLS generated code.

RBash
Novice

Hello,

I'm implementing a system using HLS that has a number of on-chip memories (currently 12, but it could increase) that need to be initialized from the host, with different data widths and address widths. I'm defining those memories as Avalon-MM slaves in their respective components, and then in a separate component have an Avalon streaming interface that is supposed to receive data from the host and populate the memories using a number of Avalon-MM master interfaces.

My question is, when I compile the HLS code and view the result in Platform Designer, the Avalon-MM master arguments are translated into two arguments, one with Avalon-MM master type which is named avmm_<number>_rw, and another one which is a conduit with the name of the argument as specified in the C++ code. What is this conduit argument and what am I supposed to connect it to?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Avalon Conduit Interface is an interface type that accommodates individual signals or groups of signals that do not fit into any of the other Avalon types. You can

connect conduit interfaces inside a Platform Designer system. Alternatively, you can export them to connect to other modules in the design or to FPGA pins.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RBash
Novice

Thank you for your response. But my question was about the conduit generated for the Avalon-MM master interface for an HLS component in particular, not conduits in general.​ If my understanding is correct, Avalon-MM master interface is supposed to control an Avalon-MM slave, but in this case (i.e., defining an Avalon-MM master interface as an input argument for an HLS component), there's also a conduit with the same name as the master in the IP generated for the component. I wanted to know what is the functionality of this particular conduit.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Can you provide a sample test case that can reproduce the error?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know if you have any updates?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RBash
Novice

Hi,

Sorry about the delay, I found the answer in the reference manual for HLS compiler. The conduit is used to pass the base address that the master controls.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Your feedback is valuable to other customers.

Thanks.

0 Kudos