Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
1093 Discussions

Do the Intel 11.1 compilers support AVX?

twilkens
Beginner
Title says it all. Just wondering if the 11.1 version of the intel C and Fortran compilers generate AVX code? Can someone verify this? Thanks for any assistance.

Tim
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Options such as -QaxAVX -arch:SSE3 (make an AVX and an SSE3 code path, when there is reason to differentiate them) are present.
0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - twilkens
Title says it all. Just wondering if the 11.1 version of the intel C and Fortran compilers generate AVX code? Can someone verify this? Thanks for any assistance.

Tim
If you have Intel processor Sandy-bridge than certainly ICC-v11.1 will support AVX. Probably, Sandy-bridge is targetted for sometime in 2010.

~BR
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - srimks
If you have Intel processor Sandy-bridge than certainly ICC-v11.1 will support AVX. Probably, Sandy-bridge is targetted for sometime in 2010.

There is no need to wait until the CPU is available on the market. You can alreadyrun and test programs with AVX using the beta kit of theIntel Software Development Emulator. Admittingly, you won't get a performance improvement for now, but your software will be ready when the processor is released.

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos
twilkens
Beginner

There is no need to wait until the CPU is available on the market. You can alreadyrun and test programs with AVX using the beta kit of theIntel Software Development Emulator. Admittingly, you won't get a performance improvement for now, but your software will be ready when the processor is released.

Kind regards
Thomas

Thomas and company,
Ok, I have binaries compiled with Intel 11.1 and see AVX code in the objdump. However I'm getting the following message while trying to run them in SDE v 1.7:

==========================================================================
Fatal Error: This program was not built to run on the processor in your system.
The allowed processors are: Intel processors with Intel AVX instructions support.

I'm running SDE on a "non-Intel" processor at the moment.. but plan to try it on a Nehalem tomorrow. Is this the issue? I directed SDE to emulate a processor that supports AVX.. are there other checks in Intel 11.1 binaries aside from this.

I know there won't be any AVX compatible processors for a while.. so it must be intended to be possible to run Intel 11.1 binaries in SDE with AVX enabled, right?

Thanks for any helpful advice. Best regards..

Tim
0 Kudos
twilkens
Beginner
Quoting - twilkens

Thomas and company,
Ok, I have binaries compiled with Intel 11.1 and see AVX code in the objdump. However I'm getting the following message while trying to run them in SDE v 1.7:

Fatal Error: This program was not built to run on the processor in your system.
The allowed processors are: Intel processors with Intel AVX instructions support.

I'm running SDE on a "non-Intel" processor at the moment.. but plan to try it on a Nehalem tomorrow. Is this the issue? I directed SDE to emulate a processor that supports AVX.. are there other checks in Intel 11.1 binaries aside from this.

I know there won't be any AVX compatible processors for a while.. so it must be intended to be possible to run Intel 11.1 binaries in SDE with AVX enabled, right?

Thanks for any helpful advice. Best regards..

Tim

All,
Situation is a little clearer. Seems running SDE on a non-Intel processor doesn't allow you to run Intel 11.1 binaries, at least not those I compiled. Even though SDE provides options for forcing certain features like AVX, SSE42, etc to be emulated.. it doesn't emulate Intel cpus.

To address this.. run Intel 11.1 binaries on an Intel-processor equipped machine. Then use SDE to emulate binaries using AVX from Intel 11.1.

Tim
0 Kudos