Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

How to use SDE on the VS platform

Li__Gangping
Beginner

Now that I have configured SDE in VS2013 software on win7, I can also use SDE to single-step debug VS applications. But according to the introduction of SDE, SDE can provide instruction simulation function.I do't know how to use SDE simulation function on VS2013 platform, such as emulating avx512 instructions? Can you give some advice ?Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdyT_Intel

The instruction emulation is an integral part of SDE. All you need to do is to run an application compiled with the new instructions (AVX-512 in your example).

You should target SDE for the CPU that you want it to support. For example, you can run SDE with the -icl knob (in the command line) and SDE will verify that the application is executing only instructions which are legal for the icelake CPU.

0 Kudos
Li__Gangping
Beginner

Ady Tal:

Thank you very much for your comments.
In my understanding, for msvs2013, we should first write an application in msvs2013 (call the AVX-512 instruction in the program), and then compile the application into an app.exe executable file through msvs2013;
Then run SDE.bat and enter sde --app.exe, I am right ? if not ,could you give me some advice?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
AdyT_Intel

For getting AVX-512 instructions you probably need to use intrinsic. You can use Intel intrinsic guide for getting help  https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/IntrinsicsGuide. ;

But, I think that the VS2013 compiler might be too old and it will not emit AVX-512 instructions in your application. You can either use newer VS compiler or Intel compiler.

0 Kudos
Nikolai_L_Intel
Employee

I had SDE integrated with MSVC 2013 on my AVX2 laptop and enjoyed built-in MSVC IDE debugging the code written for AVX512 and Icelake.

Now, I installed MSVC 2017 and I don't see SDE debugging as an option there. I re-ran SDE integration MSI installer, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos