Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Huge time cost while assigning

Xinjue_Z_
Beginner

Hello Guys:)

It is very nice to have this forum. I'm a fresh on the ISA Extension and expect to have your insight:)

My code snippet, which conducts a convolution computing, is attached as a figure. and here is my confusing issue:

Time was consumed hugely when I tried to assign the computed result to image buffer. Computing time of extension sets(line 512~544) only takes about 7~8ms, but the assign work(line 548) takes about 25~26ms.

The most confusing thing to me is that there is little time-cost while assign the image buffer with other value like loop control index(line 549)  or other register(line 552). As long as I try to assign the buffer with computed result(line 544), time-cost will raise hugely. I tried several ways(line 547~552) on assign work, all of these ways cost huge time as well.

QforIntel.PNG

My env. info:

compiler: icpc version 12.1.0 (gcc version 4.4.5 compatibility)

if there is any unclear about the issue description, please kindly let me know.  Again, thanks a lot in advance!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Do you have VTune profiler installed?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Sedach
New Contributor I

Hello Xinjue Z.,

You could use either
*pTmp = _mm_extract_epi16(resI, 0);

or even better
_mm_stream_si32((int *)pTmp, _mm_extract_epi16(resI, 0));

Don't forget that _mm_stream_si32() stores 4 bytes, and call _mm_mfence() at the end.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I would try to check disassembly of LOC #544 and LOC #548 and post it here. Do you have any kind of Store-Forwarding Stalls? Does your code operates on the same buffer?

0 Kudos
Xinjue_Z_
Beginner

iliyapolak wrote:

Hello iliyapolak,

No. I didn't buy the tool, I'll check if there is trial version. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Xinjue_Z_
Beginner

Vladimir Sedach wrote:

Hello Xinjue Z.,

You could use either
*pTmp = _mm_extract_epi16(resI, 0);

or even better
_mm_stream_si32((int *)pTmp, _mm_extract_epi16(resI, 0));

Don't forget that _mm_stream_si32() stores 4 bytes, and call _mm_mfence() at the end.

Hello Vladimir Sedach

Thank you very much for such info. I think I missed some info and led you to wrong direction, but I still learned couple of new sets:)

My compiler is enabled with O3 level optimization. The ways of assigning(line 549 and 552) didn't use computing results, then it seems the computing sets(line 512~544) were optimized. Is this possible?

Such guess is based on my another try by commenting computing sets from line 531~538. And the time cost is about 19ms.

0 Kudos
Xinjue_Z_
Beginner

iliyapolak wrote:

I would try to check disassembly of LOC #544 and LOC #548 and post it here. Do you have any kind of Store-Forwarding Stalls? Does your code operates on the same buffer?

Hello iliyapolak again:)

Yes, I agree. Checking the disassembly will have some leads. I'll do so and come to you. For the Store-Forwarding Stalls, the variable I used for assigning is a reference of image buffer. Will the reference cause write & read issue? Anyway I'm on my way to check the disassembly.

Again thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Sedach
New Contributor I

Xinjue Z.,

My compiler is enabled with O3 level optimization. The ways of assigning(line 549 and 552) didn't use computing results,
> then it seems the computing sets(line 512~544) were optimized. Is this possible?

Not just possible - it is true. Compile omits statements with unused results.

To speed it up a bit more you might use _mm_stream_si128() - combine the results of 8 16-bit values in a __m128i reg and "stream" it to the memory.

The huge time could be either due to the cache issues or just time miscalculation )

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Xinjue Z. wrote:

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

Hello iliyapolak,

No. I didn't buy the tool, I'll check if there is trial version. Thanks!

You can download and use trial version.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>the variable I used for assigning is a reference of image buffer>>>

Maybe in your code there are some pointers or references which are dereferencing/referencing that image buffer?

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Once you figure out the memory issue, you might consider tweaking the code a little:

// remove
// __m128 res = _mm_setzero_ps();
// change
// Dot B and C
row0 = _mm_dp_ps(row0, rC, 0xf1);
row1 = _mm_dp_ps(row1, rC, 0xf2);
row2 = _mm_dp_ps(row2, rC, 0xf4);
__m128 res = _mm_add_ps(row0, row1);
row3 = _mm_dp_ps(row3, rC, 0xf8);
res = _mm_add_ps(res, row2);
res = _mm_add_ps(res, row3);

// Dot A and BC

The above saves two instructions and attempts to overlap the adds with the multiply. You might get a few clock cycles back.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos