Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Include all intrinsics

Dobratz__Glenn
I would like to see the Intel Intrinsics Guide include all of the intrinsics, not just the SSE-based intrinsics. It would be helpful if the 'interlocked' and other intrinsics were also included, especially with timing information.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
andysem
New Contributor III

_Interlocked* intrinsics are MSVC-specific (Intel compiler also has to support them for compatibility and MinGW translates them to its own intrinsics). They are not available on platforms other than Windows. Intel Intrinsics Guide documents portable intrinsics supported by most major compilers, and that is a good thing since it avoids the confusion.

0 Kudos
Dobratz__Glenn
Understand. Sigh :(
0 Kudos
Christian_M_2
Beginner

Hello,

well what do you miss exatly: https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/IntrinsicsGuide/

You have intrinsics, can filter them, there is also AVX, AVX2, FMA and further extensions. Intrinsics that go into single instructions (which is true for many but not all) have timing information about latency, throughput for all recent architectures.

Greetings,

Christian

0 Kudos
Dobratz__Glenn
As stated in my original post, what I 'miss' is the other intrinsics that the Intel and MS compilers support that are not in the guide at all. The information that is in the guide for the intrinsics that are present is great. I would like to see the other intrinsics be included so that I can get timing information and the other goodies for them, as well.
0 Kudos
Christian_M_2
Beginner

Hello,

ok I see. Are those extensions not listed under one of the pointer under 'other'? If you hover the mouse over there and wait some time, you get a loft of subcategories. Otherwise, for compiler specific you will have to look at the compiler guide.

For intel, check out this link: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/514071

At the left, there is the navigation, you should find all intel compiler intrinsics. When it comes to MSVC, I think, the will not provide any timing specifications ... If you know to what instruction the intrincis boild down, you should find them in the appropriate intel architecture and/or optimization manual. Normally, you find all instructions there with timing information.

0 Kudos