Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Intel Software Development Emulator for Itanium architecture

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
*** Intel Software Development Emulator for Itanium architecture ***
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I've been looking for Intel Software Development Emulator for Itanium architecture and I wonder if I could get it?
0 Kudos
AdyT_Intel

There is no Intel software development emulator for the Itanium architecture.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...There is no Intel software development emulator for the Itanium architecture. I don't believe that Intel doesn't have it for internal purposes and I'm sure for 99.99% that it exists. Intel wouldn't spend billions of dollars on IA-64 technology without an emulator for Itanium processors. C++ compilers developers ( Intel & Microsoft ) also would need it since ICC versions 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 , VS 2005 / 2008, and several versions of MS Platform SDK have development environments for IA-64. There is a thread at https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-software-development-tools-for-itanium-architecture/topic/294261 and take a look at a last post.
0 Kudos
AdyT_Intel

There was a full system simulator for the Itanium architecture. But it was not Intel SDE and it was not application level.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...There was a full system simulator for the Itanium architecture. But it was not Intel SDE and it was not application level... I wonder if SDE / XED could be modified to emulate Itanium Instruction Set? I understand that this is not a simple task and I simply ask what else could be done.
0 Kudos
James_C_Intel2
Employee

What is your actual objective, Sergey?

It seems as though you have some problem that you believe this is the solution to, but you haven't explained what the problem is!

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Right now I've successfully installed and configured Intel C++ compiler version 11.0.075 for IA-64 on two Windows platforms. The problem is that I couldn't execute compiled codes since I don't have access to an Itanium machine. So, the easiest way to try these apps is an Itanium architecture emulator. Microsoft C++ compiler for IA-64 is also configured ( comes with VSs 2005 and 2008 ) but I would prefer to use Intel C++ compiler ( more explicit support and there are headers for intrinsic functions ). I can't do the same for a Linux because Intel C++ compiler for IA-64 on Linux version 11.0.086 requires a real IA-64 platform. >>...What is your actual objective, Sergey? Ideally, it would be nice to have a real Itanium machine for all R&Ds related to EPIC. A recent Intel Itanium 9700 series processor ( released in May 2017 ) will live for many years and I'd like to get an experience with Itanium architecture. I'm also very interested to try EPIC technology on some scientific problems.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Intel C++ compiler version 11.0.075 for IA-64 on two Windows platforms... Finally ported codes and it is simply a matter of time before I get a used Itanium based system for R&Ds.
0 Kudos