Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Intel architecture manuals have printing disabled

Russell_Van_Zandt

Intel please provide printable copies of all manuals on your "Intel Architectures Software Developer Manuals" website:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/architectures-software-developer-manuals.html

Clicking “Show more” is necessary to see the “Eight-Volume Set of Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manuals”. Of those the following have print disabled:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-1-manual.pdf

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-2b-manual.pdf

Those two are the manuals I need the most, but that web site has other manuals with printing disabled, please unlock all of them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nicole_O_Intel
Employee

Future revisions of the manual, and all documents on that landing page, will be changed to allow high resolution printing. I have also asked for the current manuals to be unlocked for printing, however I do not have an ETA for that. Additionally, we do offer printed manuals at cost (no profit to Intel) here for ordering: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/IntelSDM. I apologize for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Nicole_O_Intel
Employee

Future revisions of the manual, and all documents on that landing page, will be changed to allow high resolution printing. I have also asked for the current manuals to be unlocked for printing, however I do not have an ETA for that. Additionally, we do offer printed manuals at cost (no profit to Intel) here for ordering: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/IntelSDM. I apologize for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

While we are on the topic of manuals....

1. The current version of the Optimization Reference Manual (248966-032, January 2016) still contains broken PDF.   It is much better than the first version published (under the same number) which had many missing pages, but the links in the table of contents for chapters 4,5,6,7,8 are not functional.   The online PDF validator at pdf-tools.com shows 74 lines of errors....

2. It is insane that the compiler documentation is no longer available in PDF format.   The web interface is painfully slow and the search facilities are very weak. 

0 Kudos
Russell_Van_Zandt

Thank you Nicole and Intel

0 Kudos
Nicole_O_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the TOC links in the optimization manual. I did check the original document posted, as well as the online available version (both using it online and downloading to my hard drive). I was able to use all TOC links with no trouble. I specifically checked all in the chapters you listed (4,5,6,7,8) and was able to link just fine. I queried our web support team and had them check as well. They checked using IE, FF and Chrome and were able to use TOC links in the document.

As for the compiler documentation, I have forwarded your comment to the appropriate person and asked them to respond.

0 Kudos
Russell_Van_Zandt

Intel / Nicole:

One additional note is that the print manual vendor, Lulu, offers only an ANCIENT version of the Extensions Programming Reference. Lulu has version 014 from Sept. 4, 2012, but the current version is 024 from last month!

All other manuals were current on Lulu except their Optimization Manual was one level old, version 031, while the current is 032.

0 Kudos
Nicole_O_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the Lulu reminder. I updated the Optimization Manual to the current revision. Please note that it may say revision 031 on the Author's Spotlight, but once you click on it revision 032 should come up. You are correct on the Extensions Programming Reference. Revision 014 was the last one posted due to the 700 page restriction on manual size via Lulu. At this point I need to determine an appropriate break point for Volume 1 and Volume 2, or retire the manual from Lulu availability.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi John M!
Nice to sync up with you again (after getting your take on stream bmark issue some weeks ago - thanks)
Well, actually the pdf documents can be downloaded as well when you traverse on the web pages. It's just that the download button for the pdf is displayed way at the bottom of the page (I'll file a feature request to put a link or such so it's displayed at the top of the page and first in the list of docs searched for).  Let me briefly summarize on how the documentation is laid out in IDZ:

1) You can find product documentation for many released products at http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-software-technical-documentation/

2) From there you can select the product you're interested and navigate to what you want and the pages are displayed.

3) Say you want pdf of the compiler reference guide. What you can do is to select "references" and "user guides" under Filters and then select the product compiler. The search will display all the document links on the page. Unfortunately, the pdf download button for the compiler user and reference guide for pdf is listed at the end of the list which you can download!  I'll file a feature request to put that download at the top or just add a download icon or such after the user/reference guide link and display at the top.

See snapshot file (idz-doc-pdf below) of the above filter/search for compiler reference pdf download steps.

Let me know if the above resolves your issue on pdf download, thx   Additionally, the documentation is installed as part of the product in the installation directory as well.

_Cheers,
Kittur

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

Thanks Nicole!   Apparently I got two different downloads of the optimization manual corrupted!  The version I just downloaded is working fine.

Thanks Kittur!  It took a few minutes to figure out which list I needed to go to the bottom of, but I eventually found the links to the PDF docs.  This is a big help!

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

NICOLE O. (Intel) wrote:

Hi NICOLE,

Regarding the printed manual which are being sold by lulu publishing I would like to inform you that the printing quality and the manual binding is simply horrible in spite of price being quite high as for low quality "book".

0 Kudos
Russell_Van_Zandt

It looks like the problem has been resolved. Printable manuals are available, at least those I checked like volumes 1 and 2B.

Thanks again Intel.

0 Kudos