Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Links to instruction documentation

Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
38 Replies
Ron_B_
Beginner
Thomas,

Is there a downloadable PDF of the Optimization Reference Manual? I'm not finding it.

Also, is there any published data on expected performance of the various AVX intrinsics relative to SSE by cache? I.E. vmulps is 2X faster in L1, 1.8X faster in L2, etc. Maybe that's a dumb question, but it's hard to tell if code is optimal without some idea of ideal hw throughput.

Thanks for the pointers,
Ron
0 Kudos
Ron_B_
Beginner
A second search of the Intel site turned up a downloadable PDF copy of the June 2011 Optimization Guide.
0 Kudos
Brijender_B_Intel
Hi,
Please use the following link:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/64-ia-32-architectures-optimization-manual.html

It will open the reading pan. On Top right hand corner there is a down arrow button that means download (next to print).
0 Kudos
Ron_B_
Beginner
Thanks for the tip. I missed the little arrow.
0 Kudos
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee

With revision 40 of the Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual (SDM) just published, we are pleased to announce that paper versions of the SDM are now available via a print-on-demand fulfillment model (see links below) through a 3rd-party vendor.

The print-on-demand model of hard copy fulfillment of SDM provides several advantages over the previous bulk-printing operation:

1. We expect the new model can sustain itself indefinitely as it no longer relies on long-range budget forecasting and unpredictable funding supply. Bulk printing requires substantial budget for printing, warehousing, and ancillary costs associated with either shipping or governmental regulations. Three years ago, the funding source dried up, and the operation went into hibernation.

2. We expect print-on-demand orders are generally fulfilled by the same up-to-date version as available on the web. Web updates of the SDM are approximated on a quarterly cadence. When we did bulk printing, the lag between shipping out the final master and receiving truckload of stock into the warehouse was taking up to 3 months.

We want to acknowledge that the unit cost of print-on-demand to purchaser is higher than bulk printing, and our publishing operation will do as much as we can to help our hard copy customer get the most mileage out of their purchases. There are a few things related to that aspect:

a. We implemented a 7-volume partition due to the physical page-count constraint required by the print service vendor. Currently that constraint sits at 740 pages.

b. The order price of each volume is set by the print vendor (as the vendor is a for-profit entity). Intel uploads the finalized master with zero royalty.

c. Considering (i) the frequent update schedule of web versions, (ii) often large updates may concentrate on a subset of the 7 volumes and occur at a slower pace than the quarterly updates; we did some chapter level re-organization. The objective is to facilitate hard copy SDM users who wishes to keep up on the subject matters of his/her interest to only need infrequent re-order of selected volume(s), instead of ordering 7 volumes repeatedly.

For example, readers whose primary hard copy resources are instruction reference pages can focus on Volumes 2A and 2B; the virtualization audience can focus on Volume 3C; a performance monitoring tool developer may focus on volume 3B, etc.

d. Our initial vendor of print-on-demand will be www.lulu.com. In our limited experience as a customer there, we find there are material advantages to being on their mailing list. We typically receive a few email promotions each month, ranging from xx% site wide sale to free-shipping offers. So that may be of interest to hard copy readers.

In the new fulfillment model, the 7-volume PDF set of the SDM is available for purchase at the links below*. In the future, several other IA manuals (e.g. Software Optimization Manual) will be available throughthe same3rd-party print-on-demand vendor.

*NOTE: Due to manual restructuring, please download the file and review prior to purchasing to ensure you are ordering the volume(s) with information you are interested in.

Volume 1 Basic Architecture: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/intel%c2%ae-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-1-basic-architecture/18596113

Volume 2A Instruction Set Reference A-L: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/intel%c2%ae-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-2a-instruction-set-reference-a-l/18595762

Volume 2B Instruction Set Reference M-Z: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/intel%c2%ae-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-2b-instruction-set-reference-m-z/18621112

Volume 2C Instruction Set Reference: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/intel%c2%ae-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-2c-instruction-set-reference/18621165

Volume 3A System Programming Guide, Part 1: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/intel%c2%ae-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-3a-system-programming-guide-part-1/18621230

Volume 3B System Programming Guide, Part 2: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/intel%c2%ae-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-3b-system-programming-guide-part-2/18621276

Volume 3C System Programming Guide, Part 3: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/intel%c2%ae-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-3c-system-programming-guide-part-3/18621297

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
It would be very handy to have Instruction Set and intrinsic Reference in a CHM file. Any chance of creating that?
0 Kudos
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee
Rev. 26 of the Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Software Optimization Manual is live now.
In the next few weeks, hardcopy option of Rev. 26 (in a two-volume partition) is expected to be available from lulu.com as well.
0 Kudos
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Igor
We don't have plans to produce additional formats at this time.
Thx for your input.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Thank you for the list of links in the Post #6!

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
stefan_dragnev
Beginner
Thanks for posting the links to lulu.com. It is great to have a paper copy of the manuals so I don't have to be in front of computer just to read them.

Is there a chance Intel can also offer hardcover option of the manuals in addition to the already available paperback option? It will increase the cost somewhat, but it will make the printed manuals much more durable considering their size. Lulu already offers standard hardcover option, but when I spoke to their customer support I was told that the author of each publication is at the sole discretion whether lulu.com will offer their book/manual in hardcover.

Thanks,
Stefan Dragnev
0 Kudos
Jason_Perry
Beginner
Could we please get an answer to the question posed right above my post? (#11) I too would like these in hardcover - wouldn't mind paying the extra $$ for this option - and if it's just a matter of Intel saying, "It's okay for people to order this format" I'm left here wondering... Why not? Is there something not obvious that we're missing here?
Thanks ~ Jason
0 Kudos
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Stefan/Jason

Thank you for your inputs and your interest in a hardbound option.

Since we resumed softbound print-on-demand fulfillment model, the ship-out data we have from the vendor indicates there is a constant but small volume of demand with each revision. Regardless of the demand volume, it does not change our commitment to continue the softbound availability.

At the same time, we are pursuing operational improvement that can lower the cost on the user side. The factor that has room for optimization is page count, as we had chosen zero royalty from the beginning. So we are in the process of adjusting our production to use a slightly larger format to reduce the page count.

A second factor that can affect users in certain geography is the cost of oversea shipment, which we don't have direct control. From our understanding, the current vendor's physical printer facilities are located in US, Canada, France, UK, and Australia. So, some of the historically largest consumption markets like China, Brazil, India would bear higher shipping costs on top of the merchandise cost. We are willing to investigate the feasibility of expanding the print-on-demand fulfillment model into locally-supplied distribution if available. We welcome referral information about local print-on-demand vendors for us to investigate, along with cost estimate of oversea shipment given by current supplier. Please direct your feedback of current cost and local print-on-demand supplier referral to "intelsdm@intel.com" with subject heading "local print-on-demand referral".

In terms of whether to initiate hard-bound options, we like to see more data before making a decision.

The most important factor to sway our decision is user demand. Based on our soft-bound data and considering the cost-delta, release frequency, other logistic obstacles. I feel it is more prudent to defer a decision. Intel SDM readers who wish to see the availability of hardbound options can direct feedback to "intelsdm@intel.com" with the subject heading "hardbound SDM" and provide information on the limit of acceptable cost increase of a hardbound volume.

0 Kudos
sg03ty
Beginner
thank you
0 Kudos
thietkelogo
Beginner
Thanks for posting the links to lulu.com. It is great to have a paper copy of the manuals so I don't have to be in front of computer just to read them.

Is there a chance Intel can also offer hardcover option of the manuals in addition to the already available paperback option? It will increase the cost somewhat, but it will make the printed manuals much more durable considering their size. Lulu already offers standard hardcover option, but when I spoke to their customer support I was told that the author of each publication is at the sole discretion whether lulu.com will offer their book/manual in hardcover.

Thanks,
Stefan Dragnev

Thanks for the link, i help me solve some problems
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Hi, there is a recent Intel Developer Forum 2012 presentation on AVX2 and Bit Manipulation New Instructions. Slides: http://intel.com/go/idfsessions (session ARCS005). Best regards, Roman
0 Kudos
shin
Beginner
Hi i have download all the links for file i needed, thanks for share all shin
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi eberybody, Where coud I find latencies for MOVNTDQ and VMOVNTDQ instructions? Unfortunately, the latest edition of "Intel Optimization Reference Manual" ( 04.2012 ) doesn't have any data for these two instructions in Appendix C. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee
This just my personal view... 1. The instruction in question is for streaming store usage, when the programmer do not intent to consume the stored data immediately. So the rationale to design an algorithm based on the latency of such instruction seems to be questionable if the intent includes optimization for performance. 2. I think it is easy to picture what will happen if you try to write a directed test by introducing dependency and see the delay exposure will reflect the store data operation from the memory pipeline to system ram, plus other factors. Your mileage will vary, depending on many non-CPU factor and likely won't be a sharp peak distribution. 3. If the intent is to figure how much distance hoist the streaming store ahead of eventual consumption. I suspect you have to deal with some range that's likely volatile. So trial may be your best tool.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...So trial may be your best tool... Shih, I really appreciate your feedback and my question is should we always try to get latencies from our tests? The latest edition of "Intel Optimization Reference Manual" ( 04.2012 ) has lots of details about these two instructions but by some unexplained reason latencies are not specified. I'll try to do some tests in about 2-3 weeks after I receive a new computer system but I'd like to get some information as soon as possible. Would you be able to forward my question to Intel Hardware Engineers, please? Once again, Where coud I find latencies for MOVNTDQ and VMOVNTDQ instructions? Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Sergey The best advice I could offer is to borrow from an article I read about David Chaiken's recommendation on algorithm. To design a good algorithm, think about its performance model underneath. If a hardware engineer gives me a single number on this, I am certain that is not a complete picture and it would be a dis-service to publish a number given the complexity of situations that software can deploy into the wide variety of platform. A number in CPU core cycle will certainly be useless, considering the uncore operates in a different clock domain. I believe the DRAM sub-system may bring in another clock domain into the picture. If your software gets deployed on a multi-socket platform, what kind of complications will snooping bring? The round trip for a piece of data to move from a register to DRAM and then fetched back to the consumer will be an arguous journey. If your algorithm is able to deal with a range of values, would that manifest to end users as desirable experience (selecting from one end of opportunistic (fragile) value to the other end of higher confidence with larger time constant)? If you can replace the longer journey with shorter ones, then writeback cacheable and locality consideration come into play, which makes the question of streaming store round trip latency moot.
0 Kudos