Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
Announcements
Intel Customer Support will be observing the Martin Luther King holiday on Monday, Jan. 17, and will return on Tues. Jan. 18.
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646

Requirements for GFNI without AVX/AVX-512

nemequ
New Contributor I

I noticed a recent commit to LLVM which mentions that Tremont supports GFNI without AVX-512.  Based on the patch, it looks like different functions require:

• GFNI alone (since SSE2 is part of the x86_64 baseline)
  • GFNI + AVX
  • GFNI + AVX-512BW
  • GFNI + AVX-512BW + AVX-512VL

However, the intrinsics guide shows all the 128/256-bit functions as requiring AVX-512VL.  I assume this will be updated eventually now that GFNI is being split up, but how?  I was hoping to use LLVM as a reference, but they use macros for some of the functions and those don't have the attributes which tell which ISA extensions are required.

It makes sense to me that that 128-bit functions would require GFNI alone, 256-bit require GFNI and AVX, and 512-bit require GFNI and AVX-512BW, but that fourth category (GFNI + AVX-512BW + AVX-512VL) is confusing me…

I'd like to tweak some of my code so I can correctly detect which group of GFNI functions is available… does anyone have any insight into exactly which functions requite which ISA extensions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
andysem
New Contributor III

You can see GFNI instruction encodings in the Software Developer's Manual. There are three versions of encodings:

• Legacy SSE with 0x66 prefix. Only supports 128-bit vectors xmm0-xmm15.
  • VEX-encoded, which is compatible with AVX/AVX2. Supports 128 and 256-bit vectors x/ymm0-x/ymm15.
  • EVEX-encoded, which is compatible with AVX-512.  Supports 128, 256 and 512-bit vectors x/y/zmm0-x/y/zmm31.

In the AVX-512 case, in order to have support for 128 and 256-bit vectors, AVX-512VL is required. The usual difference between SSE and AVX instructions also apply - SSE instructions don't zero the upper bits of the output vector registers.

SDM also describes the CPUID features that are required for each of the encodings to be supported:

• GFNI alone for SSE encoding
  • AVX+GFNI for VEX encoding
  • AVX-512F+GFNI for EVEX encoding and additionally AVX-512VL for 128 and 256-bit vectors.

As to which encodings are used for intrinsics, it is the compiler's decision. I believe, the compiler selects the encoding based on the target ISA, as specified in the command line or attributes applied to the function being compiled.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
andysem
New Contributor III

You can see GFNI instruction encodings in the Software Developer's Manual. There are three versions of encodings:

• Legacy SSE with 0x66 prefix. Only supports 128-bit vectors xmm0-xmm15.
  • VEX-encoded, which is compatible with AVX/AVX2. Supports 128 and 256-bit vectors x/ymm0-x/ymm15.
  • EVEX-encoded, which is compatible with AVX-512.  Supports 128, 256 and 512-bit vectors x/y/zmm0-x/y/zmm31.

In the AVX-512 case, in order to have support for 128 and 256-bit vectors, AVX-512VL is required. The usual difference between SSE and AVX instructions also apply - SSE instructions don't zero the upper bits of the output vector registers.

SDM also describes the CPUID features that are required for each of the encodings to be supported:

• GFNI alone for SSE encoding
  • AVX+GFNI for VEX encoding
  • AVX-512F+GFNI for EVEX encoding and additionally AVX-512VL for 128 and 256-bit vectors.

As to which encodings are used for intrinsics, it is the compiler's decision. I believe, the compiler selects the encoding based on the target ISA, as specified in the command line or attributes applied to the function being compiled.

View solution in original post