Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Retrieving/querying Intrinsic Guide

Rashawn_K_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Is it possible to query the IntrinsicsGuide to retrieve the function definition, synopsis, description, and operation as text?

Regards,

-Rashawn Knapp

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

You used to be able to locate a .pdf version of the intrinsics guide. Try Google:

Intel Intrinsics guide format:.pdf

or

Intel Intrinsics reference format:.pdf

*** though the first page of hits does not list a current guide (you will have to page through the hits)

For individual intrinsics, you can select, copy and paste.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Travis_D_
New Contributor II

It would be great to have an offline version of the guide. From what I can tell, the online version pretty much downloads the entire guide (several MB) when you load the page, so in principle and offline guide is not too far away with for someone with a few javascript skills.

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

It would be great to have any version of the guide that could actually be found.   Right now the Intel web search returns a whole lot of useless results, while the top Google result points to a non-existent page.

0 Kudos
andysem
New Contributor III

Travis D. wrote:

It would be great to have an offline version of the guide.

I second that request. There are often times when you don't have a reliable Internet connection but still need the guide.

John McCalpin wrote:

It would be great to have any version of the guide that could actually be found.

The link to the guide is here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/isa-extensions. Although it's not easy to reach that page from www.intel.com, but I guess that can be said about a lot of other useful pages. I wouldn't mind if the guide was more easy to find.

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

Thanks for the pointer -- I guess I was not expecting to find the intrinsics guide with the ISA extensions, but it is not an unreasonable place to put it....

I have to say that the new 512-bit instructions disclosed in Chapter 6 of the most recent instruction set extensions manual are entertaining and terrifying at the same time.   It could be argued that the new V4FMADDPS instruction is the first "vector" instruction in the Intel architecture -- where "vector" refers to repeated operations on consecutive "locations", rather than SIMD (simultaneous operations on the elements in different "lanes").

An instruction of this type could be useful in matrix multiplication kernels on narrow-issue processors like KNL.   For the double-precision matrix multiplication case, KNL loses almost 20% of its peak performance because of instruction issue limitations.  

It will be interesting to see how this approach evolves....

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I've been using the link directly (added to favorites, or bookmark):

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/IntrinsicsGuide/#=undefined

FWIW =undefined shows all

The link to isa-extensions should be included in the standard Help documents IMHO.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos