Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Community support and discussions relating to developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.

Audio timing problems with the UMC library

jgaa
Beginner
Hi,

I'm playing a bit with the UMC library. I've written a very simple screen-recorder (under Windows) that also captures the microphone. Since I'm actually creating the video, I cannot depend on some fixed fps to set the time-stamps, so internally, I use a timer with 1 ms (theoretical) resolution (from Windows SDK timeGetTime()).

I use the H264 video-codec and AAC audio-codec with the MP4 muxer. Initially I had some problems with the time-stamps for the video-frames as well, but when I convert my internal milliseconds with timestamp = (ms / 1000.0), the video plays back in (visually) correct speed. The audio is an entirely different story. Using the same conversion, I get audio in high speed, aligned to the first 50% of the video. That is, if I feed PCM-buffers to the audio-codec in the size requested by the codec (audio_params_.m_SuggestedInputSize). If I feed the larger buffers that I request from Windows, it seems like the encoder or muxer splits the buffer into smaller frames, and then mess up the timestamps of the individual frames - this is at least what the VLC player indicates ("timing screwed, stopping resampling")).

So my question is - what is the actual timestamps expected by the AAC audio-codec and the MP4 muxer? And, are they relative to the start of the movie, or to the previous audio-segment?

The complete source-code for my test-project can be found here: http://war.jgaa.com/files/IPP-test.7z
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Hello "jgaa":

Sorry for such a long delay in responding to your question. Is this still an outstanding issue for you? Checking for the file link you cite in your post I find no file.

Please let us know if this issue is still outstanding for you so we can provide help.

Regards,

Paul