Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Calculate PSNR in MPEG-4

transcoding
Beginner
Hello guys,

I need to calculate the PSNR in MPEG-4 v5.3 because there's no metric that's implemented under IPP MPEG-4.

Have anyone tried before to do this? Do you have any idea?

BR,
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chao_Y_Intel

Hello,

The easy way is to decode the bit stream from the encoder's output, then calculate each frame difference with original YUV data.

NormDiff_L2, and NormDiff_L1 may help to calculate the difference.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
transcoding
Beginner
Hello,

To my knowledge, there's only H.264 decoder in IPP v5.3. Am I right?

Please, can you give me an example of how can I use NormDiff_L2? Is it a function?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
transcoding
Beginner
I agree with you when you say that NormDiff_L2 and NormDiff_L2 and NormDiff_L1 may help, but the problem is that none of the functions TransMacroBlockIntra_MPEG4 or TransMacroBlockInter_MPEG4 is called!!!

What do you suggest plese?
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hi,

MPEG4 decoder is included UMC sample code. You can use sample to decode the video.

NormDiff_L2 and NormDiff_L2 and NormDiff_L1 are used for computing PNSR of two decoded videos.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
transcoding
Beginner
Quoting - Chao Y (Intel)
MPEG4 decoder is included UMC sample code. You can use sample to decode the video.

NormDiff_L2 and NormDiff_L2 and NormDiff_L1 are used for computing PNSR of two decoded videos.

Hi,
I found that we can call MPEG4 decoder only using simple_player. Is that what you're talking about?

Can you give me an example of how can I use NormDiff_L2? It's not clear for me.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

yes, simpleplayer can be used to decode the MPEG4 stream.

ippiNormDiff_L2 usage, could you check "Example 11-11 Using the function ippiNormDiff_L1" in IPP manual. The usage of NormDiff_L2 and NormDiff_L1 is same except that they return difference norm result.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos