Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Compiling only necessary functions into a static library

Kevin_S_2
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to build a static library of video decoding functions, based on the IPP high-level API samples, for use in another application. When I include ippi_l.lib as a dependency of this library, it swells to over 100 MB in size, but when I compile the actual application using the library, it comes out to only about 10 MB total. Since I'm sure not everything in the ippi library is necessary for my static library, is there any way to signal the compiler to include only what it needs?

I'm using Visual Studio 2010 with Intel C++ Composer 2013 update 1. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Scannell

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Kevin, Which version of IPP are you using? - Chuck
0 Kudos
Kevin_S_2
Beginner
IPP version 7.1 update 1. -Kevin
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...When I include ippi_l.lib as a dependency of this library, it swells to over 100 MB in size... About 4 or 6 months ago, or so, there was a post describing a similar case and I remember that it was added to a bug report. >>...IPP version 7.1 update 1... It is clear that in IPP version 7.1 Update 1 the problem wasn't fixed. Could somebody from IPP team clarify the situation?
0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Kevin, What do you mean by term "build a static library"? How another binary library (ippi_l in your case) could be a dependant? Static library is a collection (archive) of object modules compiled from some language source files. The libraries - .lib files - don't take part in compilation process. Regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This is a follow up. >>...When I include ippi_l.lib as a dependency of this library, it swells to over 100 MB in size, but when I compile the actual >>application using the library, it comes out to only about 10 MB total... Hi Kevin, Did you manage to resolve the problem? Please let us know. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Please try /OPT:REF linker option since it will eliminate all unreferenced data.
0 Kudos