Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Doubt on H.264 sample encoder

tvs_raj
Beginner
Hello All,

I was trying to compress HD videos using the umc_video_enc_con using the H.264 codec. I saved the encoded file as a .avi. The problem I am facing is I couldn't play the video using any player. simple_player doesn't play the encoded file. I want to see how the compression has affected the quality. Please reply.

Raj
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Raj

Would be nice if you describe in more details what exactly did you try, with what version of IPP,compiler and operating system.

My concerns is about your words 'I saved the encoded file as a .avi'. As far as I know, umc_video_enc_con application produces raw video stream which is not packed into any format container. So, how do you save it as an AVI file?

Please also provide command line parameters and .PAR fileyou use to encode date with umc_video_enc_con application

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
tvs_raj
Beginner
Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for your reply. I am using the IPP version 5.3 with VC++ compiler in Win-32.

I later learnt that the umc_video_enc_con only encodes into a raw stream. I tried to decode it and save it as an avi using FFmpeg. FFmpeg didn't recognise this stream. But it did recognise the stream produced by MPEG-2 and MPEG-4.

So I am basically trying to look into how the quality of the video is affected due to compression by H.264. Is there any way of looking into that?

Thanks and Regards,

Raj
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Raj,

IPP simple_player should be able to playback raw video streams. By the way, what H.264 parameters did you use to produce that stream?

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
tvs_raj
Beginner
Vladimir,

This is the command I use to encode the video using H264.

umc_video_enc_con h264 -w 2560 -h 720 -i inputfile.yuv -o outputfile

I tried simple_player to decode and play the video, but it does only decoding to output.yuv file. It doesnt produce any playback window. Is it supposed to do something like that or it just decodes to a yuv file. I have the environment variables as explained in the readme.htm.

I am not sure if I am calling it the right way, this is what I use:

Simple_player corneah264 -p perfdata.txt -vfw -afw

If there is any mistake, please let me know.

Raj
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Raj,

from your parameters for simple_player I see that you use FileWriter render which designed to render to file. There are other renders which can render to screen, please pay attention to sample documentation.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos