Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

H.264 Encoding with SLICE_CHECK_LIMIT

Chris_G
Beginner
Good Afternoon,
I'm using the 7.0.4 sample code; specifically the umc_video_enc_con project. I am trying to limit the slice/nalu size by defining "SLICE_CHECK_LIMIT" and setting the number of slices (in the par file), to -1388. This seems to mostly work, except thatH264CoreEncoder_Close16u32s() throws an exception on exit.

But, the real issue is multi-threading. If I try to set the number of threads to use during encoding, it has no affect. I"ve tried "-t 8" in my command line. So, even though I can restrict the slice size, I can't utilize multi-cores to do so. Is there any other changes to the par file I need to do to make this work? Anyone else try this?

Thanks
Chris G.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chao_Y_Intel

Chris,

some users tried the change the the setting, and reported it could be used. Could you checked the post here? http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=76633

Thanks,'
Chao

0 Kudos
Chris_Golas
Beginner

Chao,
I looked at that post, and the numThreads parameter is being set to 1 in their case. So, there will be no parallel processing going on. And that post was about rate control not working with SLICE_CHECK_LIMIT defined. I'm sure I"ll need to address that eventually, but first I'd like to make sure can process slices in parallel.
Chris

0 Kudos
Emmanuel_W_
New Contributor I
I don't think there is any support for multiple threads when SLICE_CHECK_LIMIT is in use.

Emmanuel
0 Kudos