Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

H.264 and RTP

lrogersego
Beginner

Hey gang,

I am encoding and decoding using 264 sample 320x240 video. I need to be able to now split up and join together rtp-based packets. Is there a simple way of doing this using IPP libs and/or samples? If you have a place I can start poking around, let me know. Thank you

/Loren

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lrogersego
Beginner
Quoting - lrogersego

Hey gang,

I am encoding and decoding using 264 sample 320x240 video. I need to be able to now split up and join together rtp-based packets. Is there a simple way of doing this using IPP libs and/or samples? If you have a place I can start poking around, let me know. Thank you

/Loren

I was under the impression this was a good place to get help from Intel. Guess I was wrong
0 Kudos
matt_fisher
Beginner
Hi.
Since no one has responded, I'll answer your question. I did not find anything in the sample code to handle rtp packets, so I wrote my own implementation of rfc3984. However, this wasover two years ago so things maybe different now. But don't be discouraged. If you only have to deal with the Single NAL Unit case (and perhaps fragmentation units), it is trivial. What is your application? Most H.323 endpoints I've seen only send single NAL units. Take a look at rfc3984. You will be okay.
0 Kudos
Emmanuel_W_
New Contributor I
Quoting - lrogersego

Hey gang,

/Loren

If you can't split up NALs over multiple RTP packets you need to make sure your NAL fit in one packet. I do not think this can be achieve easily in the current sample. You can increase the number of slices but then you might end up with plenty of tiny packets which is not very efficient.

The way out is to generate slices on the fly as you are encoding your frame. This requires somere-factoringof the IPP sample.

0 Kudos
Emmanuel_W_
New Contributor I

If you can't split up NALs over multiple RTP packets you need to make sure your NAL fit in one packet. I do not think this can be achieve easily in the current sample. You can increase the number of slices but then you might end up with plenty of tiny packets which is not very efficient.

The way out is to generate slices on the fly as you are encoding your frame. This requires somere-factoringof the IPP sample.

The latest H.264 encoder sample that comes with IPP 6 support a notion of maximum slice size which should do the trick.

0 Kudos