Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

H264 decoder problem

alex78
New Contributor I
Hi all,

I am using IPP 5.1 and the H264 decoder sample. Works fine but sometimes (very rarely and only if frames are missing) I get an error in H264SegmentDecoder::ReconstructMacroblockBMEHC. The exact same error is described here http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=54322 Unfortunately there is no solution for this error in that thread. So my questions are:

1. Is there a fix for this error? (I hope yes, the error was reported more than 1 year ago).
2. I would prefer to go on with the 5.1 version. Is it possible to fix this error and continue using IPP 5.1? I think it should be possible since the error is a problem of the H264 decoder sample rather than IPP.
3. And a general question. I need a stable H264 decoder. Should I consider leaving the IPP 5.1 version and take and newer version?

Thanks a lot for your expert suggestions.
Best regards
Alex
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Quoting - alex78
Hi all,

I am using IPP 5.1 and the H264 decoder sample. Works fine but sometimes (very rarely and only if frames are missing) I get an error in H264SegmentDecoder::ReconstructMacroblockBMEHC. The exact same error is described here http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=54322 Unfortunately there is no solution for this error in that thread. So my questions are:

1. Is there a fix for this error? (I hope yes, the error was reported more than 1 year ago).
2. I would prefer to go on with the 5.1 version. Is it possible to fix this error and continue using IPP 5.1? I think it should be possible since the error is a problem of the H264 decoder sample rather than IPP.
3. And a general question. I need a stable H264 decoder. Should I consider leaving the IPP 5.1 version and take and newer version?

Thanks a lot for your expert suggestions.
Best regards
Alex

Hi Alex,

from what I've read ontopic you referred to I see there were couple suggestions on how to compile the code to let decoder intercept exceptions and also promise to fix the issue in the next release (which was 5.2 for that time). Please note, the latest current release is IPP 6.0 update 1, so I would recommend you to migrate to the latest available version.

We release updated samples with next version of IPP so there is no updated H.264 sample for IPP 5.1 release.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
alex78
New Contributor I

I see, newer version of the H264 decoder have support for missing frames and other H264 stream data deffects. Thanks for your quick reply.

Alex
0 Kudos