Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6708 Discussions

IPP Samples: compiler warnings with 64 bits build

Pascal_Binggeli
Beginner

Hello

I'm not sure what is the plan for the IPP7 but it would be great if the 64 bits build of the IPP samples didn't generate any warnings. (Irun a quickcomparison of one of the file between Ipp 6.5.1060 and Ipp 7.0.0.020 and didn't find any difference regarding casting between int64 and int32.)

sorry to be a pain,
Pascal

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
I agree, but would rather not just cast to get rid of the warning. Since these may potentially be problems, it would be best to investigate each warning and verify there is no problem before casting. I've found many problems like this when migrating 32-bit code to 64-bit. It's extra work, but worth it. Just getting rid of the warnings without checking first may even make it harder to track down a newly discovered bug.

Peter
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Pascal,

Thank you for the post. Could you tell me more information so we can locate the cause? for example, the sample name? Are you working on window* or linux*?
What is thecompiler?

Thanks
Ying
0 Kudos
Pascal_Binggeli
Beginner
Hello thanks for the replies.

I'm compiling a custom project (static library, Win64 platform) for the audio-video-codecs sample(all the source code) using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and I've configured the project with warning level 4.

Most warning are related to data truncation and are too numerous to enumerate.

As example,MediaData::GetDataSize returns a size_t and MediaData::MoveDataPointer takes a Ipp32s, generating the warning

.\codec\aac_dec\umc_aac_decoder.cpp(547) : warning C4267: 'argument' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'Ipp32s', possible loss of data

I'm most concerned with modifying the source code and then having to maintain the changes as newer version of the Ipp/IppSample are released.

I agree with Peter that the removal of those warning requires careful attention to not introducenastybugs.

Cheers,
Pascal
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Pascal, Peter,

Thanks for raising the problem here. We will removal those warning in the future release.

Thanks
Ying
0 Kudos