Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

Intel® IPP 8.2 Update 2 is now available

Chao_Y_Intel

Intel® IPP 8.2 Update 2  packages are now ready for download. Intel® IPP is available as part of Intel® Parallel Studio XEIntel® System Studio,  Intel® Integrated Native Developer Experience (Intel® INDE), Intel® Integrated Native Developer Experience 2015 Build Edition for OS X*

What's New in Intel® IPP 8.2 Update 2

• The release contains the corrections to reported problems, including the performance issue on ippiFilterBorder functions.
  • About 270 functions have removed the deprecation warnings based on the deprecation feedback. For more information please see  Intel® IPP 8.2 deprecated function change.
  • A selective list of primitives are deprecated, including the functions for internal memory allocation. New alternative functions will be provided in the future release. Please visit Intel® IPP 8.2 deprecated function change to learn more information.
  • The ippiWarpGetBorderSize function is deprecated. Refer to the Intel® IPP Reference Manual to learn how to get the image border size for the image warping functions.

What's New in Intel® IPP 8.2 Update 1

• Added additional optimization for the newest Intel® Atom™ and 4th generation Intel® Core™ (code-named Haswell) processors.
  • Fixed a number of known in the previous release issues and detected later internal and external defects. In particular, the issue 'Flavors of Pyramid functions that operate on 16-bit data overflow on some images and produce incorrect results' is fixed.
  • No changes are made to the functions API and libraries content to maintain binary compatibility with the previous major release.

What's New in Intel® IPP 8.2

• Core:
    • The ippGetCpuType and ippInitCpu functions are deprecated. Use ippGetCpuFeatures and newly added ippSetCpuFeatures instead.
    • The ippSetAffinity function is deprecated. Internal threading will be disabled in a future Intel IPP release.
  • Signal Processing:
    • Added the following functionality:
      • New multi-rate FIR filters
      • Delay line manipulation functions for FIR Sparse filters
  • Image Processing and Computer Vision:
    • Added the following functionality:
      • Gaussian mixture model (GMM)
      • FastN
      • Line Suppression
      • Histogram of Oriented Gradients (HOG)
      • New Histogram
      • LBPImage with mode support
      • Adaptive Threshold
      • Warp Affine
      • Several new color format conversion functions

For the detailed list of new functions refer to NewFunctionsList.txt available in the documentation directory.

• In preparation for deprecation in a future release, the following domains are no longer installed by default:
    • Audio Coding (ippAC)
    • Speech Coding (ippSC)
    • Image Compression (ippJP)
    • Video Coding (ippVC)
    • Small Matrices (ippMX)
    • Realistic Rendering (ippRR)
    • Generated Transforms (ippGEN)
    • Data Integrity (ippDI)

For this release, the domains are still available for installation, see below for details. Further details on the deprecation plans for these domains will be provided at http://software.intel.com/sites/products/ipp-deprecated-features-feedback/ when appropriate.

• Fixed a number of internal and external defects.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Royi
Novice

Hi,

Why are you deprecating so many domains?

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hi, thanks for checking.

Some these domains are less used functionality. They are deprecated, so it could have better optimizations, smaller downloads for the focused domains for users. For the audio and video codec,  it a new product, Intel Media SDK, which also use the GPU optimization, Intel IPP low-level primitives does not optimization for the latest processors. So users are suggested to the move to that product.   Feel free to let us know if you have any feedback on this.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
Detlev_P_
Beginner

Hi Chao,

our last IPP library in use has version 7.0.2. I saw in the description of version 8.2 that audio and video decoding are not supported anymore. I guess we have to use the Intel Media SDK in the future. Is this right?

I am familiar with Windows XP, 7 as operating system, but we plan to port our software to Linux. At the moment I am not sure what kind of impact this means for our coming Linux image. Under Windows the IPP or SDK can be part of the executable itself. How does it run under Linux? Am I forced to install the IPP or the Intel Media SDK as part of the Linux OS?

Best regards,

Detlev

0 Kudos
Shefali_G_
Beginner

Hi Chao,

Is there a separate download for multi-threaded static libraries available for Intel IPP 8.2 (Update 2) - for a Linux system ? If not, is the older download compatible with 8.2? I am using the deprecated multi-threaded functions to perform Morphological Operations but I am unable to run them on multiple threads hence, the need for these libraries.

Regards,
Shefali G.

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hi Shefali,

The latest release is IPP 8.2 update 1.  Update 2 is not ready yet... Yes, threaded libraries is available by custom installation.  
Could you check the following article on this:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/install-the-additional-domains-for-intel-ipp-82

btw,  users are encouraged to the external threading(threading at the high level) because of the performance and  other benefits.   Is there reason for you keep to use the internal threading of Intel IPP functions?

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
Royi
Novice

I have a reason to keep using your parallel versions, I can't get any performance by using OpenMP on the high level with IPP:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/544728

Could you please keep publishing them?

Moreover, in this release it seems that using the Separable Filters for Gaussian Blurring is faster than the Gaussian Blur itself.
I was surprised since in the Gaussian case you can use the fast the kernel is symmetric.

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Royi,

Thanks for the feedback.  The threading library is now taken as the options for the installation.   You comment is very helpful for us to evaluate their usage for the users.

Regards,
Chao

0 Kudos
StevenP
Beginner

How/Where do I download this legacy version?  I assume I need a license.  What are the steps for that process?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Abhinav_S_Intel

Intel® IPP 8.2 Update 2 is not available for download and is not supported anymore. Please download the latest IPP which is included as part of the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/ipp.html

0 Kudos
StevenP
Beginner

Apologies for not being more clear.  We are integrating with an application that is built with IPP 8.2.  I tried the latest version 2021.5 but we are getting errors for 'ippiRotate_16u_C1R' and ‘ippiRotate_32f_C1R' missing.  Is there no way to use 8.2 at all?

0 Kudos
Abhinav_S_Intel

We have a reference manual on how to substitute deprecated IPP functions:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/ipp-dev-reference/top/volume-2-image-processing/ipp-ref-removed-functions.html

See the Rotate.c example for substitution or workaround.

0 Kudos