Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Is this platform useful for IPP users?

simpledsp
Beginner

Hello Everyone

Several months ago, I built a platform a little bit like simulink which is module based. Each module in fact will call a IPP function. Now it has about 30 modules most of which are signal processing related.I have used these modules to build some wireless communication system simulation system to see waveform, BER or handle some real radio signal.  Now I am thinking of using it as a prototyping tool for IPP. If we can put most of IPP functions into it, the users build their application easily. They do not need to worry things like data rate or memory control. This platform has a powerful  realtime display system. Any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
that's perfect. it would be interested to try how it would works. one remark I need to add - I am not sure what version you use, but please take into account that some API has been changed in latest 7.1 and some of them would be deprecated in the future. here is the link to this article for your reference : http://software.intel.com/sites/products/ipp-deprecated-features-feedback/index.php
0 Kudos
simpledsp
Beginner

The version I use is 7.0. a screen shot is attached which show the main GUI part. Now the software and help doc is in Chinese. I will take some effort translating it to English if I decide to move forward. Now it only uses IPP to accelerate simulation speed. I think it is also possible to generate IPP code from the module based diagram following some rules. It may not be the final code, but may be pretty close. So basically, it is a prototyping tool and can help displaying result graphically. I am not sure if this is really helpful to IPP library users. If it is, will Intel add it as a development tool? And could Intel gives more information on what users need as for such a tool? Thanks!

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Several months ago, I built a platform a little bit like simulink which is module based... Q: Is this platform useful for IPP users? A: I think Yes. If you think about some commercial applications you need to take into account competitors, that is MATLAB and LabVIEW. Of course, they don't use IPP, they more expensive, but their simulation capabilities are awesome. Many scientists use MATLAB by default. Also, I can't speak for all Universities around the world but in University of Calgary, for example, students can get MATLAB ( with some set of modules ) for free. Please provide as much as possible technical details about your Simulator. Thanks in advance. Note: There is no a screenshot attached to your last post.
0 Kudos
simpledsp
Beginner

Hi Sergey

It has been months since I posted. During this period, I made research and planed a new simulator. The major code is based on privious work but the target application will be more sophiscated cross layer simulation in wireless communication which is a challange for current simulation software. IPP functions still plan an important role in it. Xeon Phi will be a ideal platform to run it. I got answer from your colleague that next version IPP will support MIC which is really wise dicision. 

I will give you an update when I have something done.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

>>...Several months ago, I built a platform a little bit like simulink which is module based...

Q: Is this platform useful for IPP users?

A: I think Yes. If you think about some commercial applications you need to take into account competitors, that is MATLAB and LabVIEW. Of course, they don't use IPP, they more expensive, but their simulation capabilities are awesome. Many scientists use MATLAB by default. Also, I can't speak for all Universities around the world but in University of Calgary, for example, students can get MATLAB ( with some set of modules ) for free. Please provide as much as possible technical details about your Simulator.

Thanks in advance.

Note: There is no a screenshot attached to your last post.

the statement that " Of course, they don't use IPP"  is not completely true. Matlab reuse some IPP functions internally ( like resizing and fft)

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

simpledsp wrote:

Hi Sergey

It has been months since I posted. During this period, I made research and planed a new simulator. The major code is based on privious work but the target application will be more sophiscated cross layer simulation in wireless communication which is a challange for current simulation software. IPP functions still plan an important role in it. Xeon Phi will be a ideal platform to run it. I got answer from your colleague that next version IPP will support MIC which is really wise dicision. 

I will give you an update when I have something done.

Thanks!

Hello everyone: There are no final decision about "next version IPP will support MIC"  and I would say that more likely IPP will not be available on this microarchitecture in the nearest future releases.

--Gennady

0 Kudos