Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Issues after upgrading to IPP 6.1

alex78
New Contributor I
Hi IPP experts,

need help with IPP 6.1. In the past I was using IPP 5.1 and the various decoders like MPEG4 and H264. I was quite happy. Because of some new features in the H264 decoder (stream deffects resistance etc.) I upgraded to IPP 6.1 recently and I am using the new decoders for MPEG4 and H264 with the new UMC. But now I am experiencing issues I never realized before. When I compile and link a dynamic DLL with both MPEG4 and H264 decoders in it and useBOTH decoders for simultaneously (or one after the other) decoding MPEG4 and H264 streams, the H264 decoders stops towork properly (I receive various exceptions and just a minimum of H264 frames are decoder properly). Well, I tried to compile with EHa (I use VS2005 and XP3) and a lot of other things. The interesting thing is that when linked in debug mode (with windows debug runtime libraries) the problems disappear and everything is decoded fine (so I cannot catch the exception in debug)!!! I tried to build two separate DLLs, one with MPEG4 and one with H264 decoder, and the situation gets much better when linked statically to runtime libraries. When both libraries are built with dynamic linkage to runtime libraries, the situation is the same (H264 decoder stops working properly).

Well, I know this sounds strange, I never had such problems with IPP 5.1. Am I missing something important regarding linking the decoders or the UMC or VM projects? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, since I really do not know what is going on here. I tested on two separate maschines to confirm this behaviour.

Best regards
Alexandr
0 Kudos
1 Reply
alex78
New Contributor I
Quoting - alex78
Hi IPP experts,

need help with IPP 6.1. In the past I was using IPP 5.1 and the various decoders like MPEG4 and H264. I was quite happy. Because of some new features in the H264 decoder (stream deffects resistance etc.) I upgraded to IPP 6.1 recently and I am using the new decoders for MPEG4 and H264 with the new UMC. But now I am experiencing issues I never realized before. When I compile and link a dynamic DLL with both MPEG4 and H264 decoders in it and useBOTH decoders for simultaneously (or one after the other) decoding MPEG4 and H264 streams, the H264 decoders stops towork properly (I receive various exceptions and just a minimum of H264 frames are decoder properly). Well, I tried to compile with EHa (I use VS2005 and XP3) and a lot of other things. The interesting thing is that when linked in debug mode (with windows debug runtime libraries) the problems disappear and everything is decoded fine (so I cannot catch the exception in debug)!!! I tried to build two separate DLLs, one with MPEG4 and one with H264 decoder, and the situation gets much better when linked statically to runtime libraries. When both libraries are built with dynamic linkage to runtime libraries, the situation is the same (H264 decoder stops working properly).

Well, I know this sounds strange, I never had such problems with IPP 5.1. Am I missing something important regarding linking the decoders or the UMC or VM projects? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, since I really do not know what is going on here. I tested on two separate maschines to confirm this behaviour.

Best regards
Alexandr

Well, just an addition to my previous post. Not sure if is is relevant to the topic but I always get an exception in DynamicCast (event when passing the initial parameters to the decoder), replacing the DynamicCast with a C style cast makes it work and decode samples :((.

Alex
0 Kudos