Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Jpeg lossless ls

jboaz123
Beginner

Hi,

Does IPP support compression of jpeg lossless ls?

In case answer is yes, is there a sample for it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

We do support JPEG lossless compression mode which specified by ISO/IEC 10918 but we do not supportISO/IEC 14495 and so do not have a sample of this codec. Which of these two specifications you are looking for? Are there any specific reasons for that?

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
Anmol_M_
Beginner

To add to this questions, I was looking for a lossless jpeg transform for a 12-bit RAW file.

This is to add a realtime lossless compression option to a DNG file.

The required compression is the older lossless jpeg and NOT the newer JPEG-LS.

I think IPP supports lossless JPEG. Is there an example that takes RAW bayer data and compresses it ?

0 Kudos
Anmol_M_
Beginner

To add to this query, the picnic app supports lossless compression. However, the lossless mode only indicates debayer data.

>>

if(JPEG_LOSSLESS == param.mode)

{
    if(param.sampling != 0) // JS_444 only for lossless mode
      return IE_AIMAGE;

param.color = (nOfComponents == 1) ? IC_GRAY : (nOfComponents == 3) ? IC_RGB : IC_CMYK;
  }
  else
    param.color = (nOfComponents == 1) ? IC_GRAY : (nOfComponents == 3) ? IC_YCBCR : IC_CMYK;

>>

Does IPP support any type of lossless JPEG encoding for RAW Bayer data ?

If so, what bpp is supported ?

I would appreciate an answer as I have been figuring this out for a while.

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Anmol,

Unfortunately, nobody can answer you in reasonable time. We have stopped developing UIC codecs several years ago and have no plans to continue due to changed priorities. We can answer simple questions on UIC and, probably, can fix most obvious problems in it, though are not releasing UIC sample codes anymore. Sorry about that.

Regarding your question I would say, that IPP as a library doesn't deal with image formats, so JPEG or Raw Bayer formats are matter of image codecs (i.e. UIC), not IPP. The source codes of UIC are at your disposal and you may do whatever you want.

0 Kudos
Anmol_M_
Beginner

Thanks Sergey.

Is there a tutorial related to building the picnic app on visual studio 2010 ?

There is a tutorial about linking the related libraries, but it seems picnic also uses qtcore etc.

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Anmol,

As far as I remember from "picnic" times, there were no solution files, only command-line script for "nmake". And, you are right, "picnic" uses Qt for cross-OS portability.

Unfortunately, if you want to create a VS2010 solution for "picnic", you need to do this manually. There is no visible ways to do that automatically, especially for such "branchy" project as "picnic". Beware duplicated .h file names. Best way is to create several projects (each per source code sub-tree) and solution for picnic application (using other projects as static libs).

0 Kudos