Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Migration from IPL to IPP

viksy
Beginner

Dear All,

I am using Image Processing Library (IPL v2.5)in my application, now i want to migrate to IPP. I could found the list of corresponding IPP functionsin the IPL migration documentation. But some of the IPL functions and identifiers are not documented. Please see the list below:

1. iplCreateImageHeader

2. iplGetErrStatus

3. IPL_DEPTH_8U

4. IPL_DATA_ORDER_PIXEL

5. IPL_ALIGN_DWORD

6. IPL_ORIGIN_TL

Is there any additional support documentation available? Anysuggestions are welcome.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Did you referred to IPL migration documentation? This is an article about how to migrate from IPL to IPP.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-intel-ipp-domain-library-migration-faq/

Regards,

Naveen Gv

0 Kudos
viksy
Beginner

Hello Naveen,

Thanks for the quick response. I did refer the IPL migration documentation and found the IPL to IPP functionmapping. I got most of the replacements for the IPLfunctions which are used in my applicationbut unfortunatelya fewfunctions listed in my query are not documented and I am not able to find corresponding functions and macros.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas

0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

If your main issue is "iplCreateImageHeader", then there isn't one. I interprete IPP as being lower level than IPL, and does not defined an image header the way IPL did. Years back there was an IPP implementation of IPL in the IPP samples. It might still be available and may give you some additional ideas on how to migrate.

Peter

0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Vikas,

As peter said, IPP does not defined an image header as IPL, refer to below sample. This sample code demonstrated implementation of IPL using IPP.

Main Sample page:-

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-code-samples/

(MAIN Intel Image Processing Library (IPL) image-processing\ipl-ipp )

Regarding error status functions, IPP functions return status codes of the performed operation to report errors and warnings to the calling program. There are many status code, user manual have complete list of status code.

Thanks,

Naveen Gv

0 Kudos
viksy
Beginner

Thanks for the info.

yes peter and you are correct, IPP doesn't support iplImage structure. In the sample code they are using iplCreateImageHeader function which returns iplImage* ;it doesn't mention how this function may be implemented withoutincluding IPL library in my application.

So is it like I can not replace IPL library with IPP in my application? IPP has no provision to map iplCreateImageHeader or iplImage structure?

Or

Is there a IPP Libraryversion available which can be usedin existing IPL applications without requiring any code modifications?

Best Regards,

Vikas

0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

Hi Vikas,

If you need to work with unmodified IPL code, then I think you should try out the link Naveen mentioned. I used it once to quickly migrate a large IPL based project to IPP - the link is basically a new IPL source library which redirects all calls to IPP functions.

However, if you have the time, I find the IPP interface much better since it does not lock you into a particular header format. This has allowed me to either use other header implementations, my own, or a combination. In either case, you can call the IPP routines since you need to pass in image pointer, width, height, and step size. I find this to be very flexible.

Peter

0 Kudos
cignarellageomind_it
Above address is not reachable, where can i find the documentation?
0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee
Hi,
Looks like article has been archived, i will check with IPP forum moderator and get back to you.

Regards,
Naveen Gv
0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Link to KNowledge Base article is workingnow, refer to Intel IPL Migration Documentation

Thanks,

Naveen Gv

0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Link to KNowledge Base article is workingnow, refer to Intel IPL Migration Documentation

Thanks,

Naveen Gv

0 Kudos