Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6708 Discussions

More detailed starting instructions for JPEG libraries within IPP

sdsuds
Beginner

I've just spent many hours (without success) trying to build sample code related to the IJL support that came with my IPP downloads. I'm building under Visual Studio 8 (2005). So far, I've been able to build the JPEGView (with much surgery to make a project work), and I've tried to get a simple enough example going from the IJL that I'll be able to include it in my JNI project. I cannot build the sample code that came with the download because it needs several IJL functions to built into a library somewhere--unfortunately there are no workable instructions on how to build that library. I've tried to run the build32.bat file that came with the download, but it doesn't work (giving errors of "The system cannot find the path specified." and "'env.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."). I've also been doing a fair amount of reading online and it's not clear if IJL is even up-to-date or obsolete (or what should be used if IJL IS obsolete).

Could someone please tell me:

- Should I even use IJL, or should I use something else?
- How should I build the preferred library -- whatever it is?

Thanks much!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
Quoting - sdsuds

I've just spent many hours (without success) trying to build sample code related to the IJL support that came with my IPP downloads. I'm building under Visual Studio 8 (2005). So far, I've been able to build the JPEGView (with much surgery to make a project work), and I've tried to get a simple enough example going from the IJL that I'll be able to include it in my JNI project. I cannot build the sample code that came with the download because it needs several IJL functions to built into a library somewhere--unfortunately there are no workable instructions on how to build that library. I've tried to run the build32.bat file that came with the download, but it doesn't work (giving errors of "The system cannot find the path specified." and "'env.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."). I've also been doing a fair amount of reading online and it's not clear if IJL is even up-to-date or obsolete (or what should be used if IJL IS obsolete).

Could someone please tell me:

- Should I even use IJL, or should I use something else?
- How should I build the preferred library -- whatever it is?

Thanks much!

I have a feeling that ijl is out of date, but I've used it in the past since it is easy to use (once you have the library built). You can build the library by doing the following:

1) extract the samples to a directory named ipp-samples: this is build into the ZIP file, and if I remember correctly, this directory name is required so do not rename it.
2) open a VS2005 command prompt and browse to the ipp-samplesimage-codecsjpeg-ijl directory.
3) execute the ippenv.bat files in the ippia32toolsenv directory to set up required IPP environment variables.
4) execute build32.bat

You can also tweak the Makefile depending on if you need a DLL or static library.

Peter
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Thanks Peter for the help with answering this question. I would also mention that every IPP sample comes with readme.htm file which include "How to build" and "How to run" sections.

Vladimir
0 Kudos