Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

OpenMP dependency for IPP 5.1?

tjkelman
Beginner
Hey all,

We've been using the Linux version of IPP 5.0 under QNX for a while (using only static libraries) and are about to make the jump to 5.1 since we need some of the new functionality (polyphase resampling, specifically); however, I noticed this blurb in the "What's new in 5.1" section of Intel's IPP webpage:

--

"Multi-Core Optimized Functions: Many critical functions for Vector and Statistical mathematics, Signal Filtering, Fourier Transforms, Image/JPEG Compression and Color Conversion are internally threaded using OpenMP* to help get the best performance out of your multi-core systems."

--

That's lovely, except for the fact that we're operating under QNX - and no OpenMP support is provided by the QNX version of the Intel 8.1 compiler (the latest available for QNX). I presume that the libraries are expecting that functionality, or is it built in to them? If it's the former, then I need to know which functions specifically are making use of OpenMP, and if there is a way to turn off that dependence or if it is hardcoded into them.

Many thanks for your time,

-todd

Todd Kelman, Engineering Consultant
Volcano Corporation
2870 Kilgore Rd.
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
tkelman@volcanocorp.com

Message Edited by tjkelman on 05-16-200606:47 PM

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Todd,

we glad to hear that you can successfully use IPP on QNX, that's interesting and important notice. You can do not worry about OpenMP dependancy while you use static IPP libraries. We use OpenMP threading only in IPP dynamic libraries. IPP static libraries do not have OpenMP specific code at all. So you should be able to move on IPP v5.1 version easely. Please let us know how things going with IPP v5.1.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
tjkelman
Beginner
Vladimir, That makes sense - thanks for the prompt response! Now I just need to wait for our P.O. to go through, since I just learned the hard way that the evaluation version of IPP 5.1 (Linux) doesn't include the full set of static libraries... ;)

Many thanks for your help,

-todd

Message Edited by tjkelman on 05-17-200602:10 PM

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

yes, there is such limitation in evaluation version of IPP. It does not include static libraries

Vladimir

0 Kudos