Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Suggestions on how to reduce IPP setup size

levicki
Valued Contributor I

I have analyzed IPP setup files (latest build) and I have concluded the following:

1. Main Data1.cab (for IA32 version) is 183.2 MB, unpacked size is 836.9 MB out of which IPP runtime DLLs take hefty 171.6 MB in unpacked form, and then they take additional 41.1 MB in form of another Data1.cab which belongs to redistributable IPP runtime setup. Obviously that is redundant. My suggestion is to remove unpacked runtime DLLs from the main Data1.cab and make IPP setup invoke runtime redistributable setup to install those DLLs. That would reduce main Data1.cab to 145.8 MB.
  2. I am failing to grasp the value of those 55.7 MB of .CSV files included in main Data1.cab? If they have any purpose/value for the customers, couldn't they be offered for download as a separate package? That would further reduce the size of main Data1.cab to 140.3 MB.
  3. Since completely identical documentation in PDF format is being included in both IA32 and EM64T versions of IPP setup, in my opinion it would make more sense to offer documentation as a separate download to avoid redundancy. That would further reduce the size of main Data1.cab to 126.3 MB.

To summarize, the reduction from 183.2 MB to 126.3 MB in size of main Data1.cab would translate into reduction from 190 MB to 133 MB in the size of w_ipp_ia32_p_5.3.2.073.exe - that much saving in my opinion makes suggested restructuring well worth the effort.

Finally, doing all of the above and creating main Data1.cab with compression set to NONE and then using more efficient self-extracting executable format like freely available and open-source 7-Zip would result in the final download size of only 89 MB compared to the original 190 MB download size, but that saving would come at the cost of considerably increased free disk space requirement during setup.

Is there any chance to include any of those setup improvements I suggested in one of the next IPP updates?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Thanks for your suggestion, you may submit it as a feature request to Intel Premier Support

Vladimir

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Vladimir, could you open a feature request for me please and point them to this post? There is no way to use formatting for emphasis at premier. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Yes, I will (but with the same formatting limitation, as I will use the same tool)

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos