Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6708 Discussions

Support for Mac Kernel Extension (and windows driver question)

mp8
Beginner
I currently am using IPP as a static lib in a winddk-built kernel driver in Windows, and we are about to have a similar functioning Mac kernel extension product. I have looked through docs and readme's and some of the posts here and I can't find whether or not IPP for Mac can be used inside of a kernel extension (kext). So is it possible\supported?

Also, I havehad a little trouble with our windows driver using the dispatching static library...very infrequent but reproducibleproblems. When I switched to static-linking just the generic 32-bit libs, everything worked quite well. I did not ever see any notes regarding special precautions that must be taken using the static dispatching at the kernel level, but maybe I missed something? I am currently using IPP version 5.2.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

please note that the latest IPP version is 6.0 (and the next IPP 6.1 is coming soon). In IPP 6.0 we use static linkage with dispatching in sample kernel mode driver.

We not have (and did ot test) IPP in Mac kernel drivers. I think static not threaded libraries should work for Mac drivers as well.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
imc
Beginner
I am trying to achieve the same thing using IPP within a kext. Is there any update on whether this is indeed possible, as I am having difficulty in achieving this. I am using static dispatch linking and the latest IPP version 6.1. I have built non kernel mode applications successfully. I get the following compiler error:

{standard input}:3406:FATAL:incompatible feature used: directive .non_lazy_symbol_pointer (must specify "-dynamic" to be used)

Quoting - mp8
I currently am using IPP as a static lib in a winddk-built kernel driver in Windows, and we are about to have a similar functioning Mac kernel extension product. I have looked through docs and readme's and some of the posts here and I can't find whether or not IPP for Mac can be used inside of a kernel extension (kext). So is it possiblesupported?

Also, I havehad a little trouble with our windows driver using the dispatching static library...very infrequent but reproducibleproblems. When I switched to static-linking just the generic 32-bit libs, everything worked quite well. I did not ever see any notes regarding special precautions that must be taken using the static dispatching at the kernel level, but maybe I missed something? I am currently using IPP version 5.2.

0 Kudos