Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Tone-generating functions deprecated... what's the alternative?

E_F_
Beginner

Hi, I noticed that the documentation warns that all the Tone-generating (ippsTone*) functions are deprecated. If that is the case, what is the proposed alternative? I cannot find this information in the documentation.

Thanks!

Ed

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Sorry for repeating that response again... Ed, please provide a feedback on all deprecated IPP functions you use ( and will need in the future ) at: software.intel.com/sites/products/ipp-deprecated-features-feedback Thanks in advance. Note: There is a Sticky Post in the forum which provides some additional information and take a look at it.
0 Kudos
E_F_
Beginner

Thank you. I saw the link for deprecation feedback on the documentation. So, I understand this functionality is proposed to get discontinued from IPP in about 2 years. My point is: right now I'm surveying the possibility of using those IPP tone-generation functions, if there is a chance that they will disapear in the future, I might rather use something else.

My two cents: deprecating methods beforehand is a bad way to understand how your customers use your product. It's not neutral. It affects the measurement you are trying to read in the sense that discourages potential customers from using the deprecated functions. I have no respect for this policy neither for an API designer who doesn't believe that backward compatibility is king.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I'm surveying the possibility of using those IPP tone-generation functions, if there is a chance that they will disapear >>in the future... Yes, it is possible if there are no any feedbacks convincing Intel IPP team to keep these functions alive and I provided a web-link for that. Even if these functions are removed there are also several workarounds, like a custom static library, or mixed-usage of IPP DLLs of different versions. So, I don't consider it as a problem and Intel does a proper / wise thing by removing some IPP functions.
0 Kudos
Igor_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Ed,

only Q15 version is planned to be removed, all other flavors will be reinstated without "Direct" suffix.

regards, Igor

0 Kudos
E_F_
Beginner

Thank you for your answers. Following the last comment from Igor, I might suggest then to update the product documentation for the non-Q15 functions. When I read "deprecated" I tend to think that the functionality is going to disappear. If it's just a rename the impact less dramatic.

Kind regards,

Ed

0 Kudos