Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Two MPEG4 decoding questions...

scott5
Beginner

I have two questions, if anyone knows how to help with:

1. Is there a way to decode MPEG4 video, without the need for a video renderer? I know I can use the NullVideoRenderer, but I'd like to bypass this unnecessary step and instead call MPEG4VideoDecoder::GetFrame by itself?

2. I am trying to decode a RTP video stream live, and of course there is a delay / hiccup during the decoding process every time I call MPEG4VideoDecoder::GetFrame with a full MPEG4 video packet. Does anyone know a way around this to make it faster, like can I put MPEG4VideoDecoder in a separate thread, or something like that? I know this is an ambiguous question, but I'm wondering if anyone's every run into this, and come up with a solution?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bendeguy
Beginner

Hi Scott!

1: I think you have to use the nullvideorenderer, but causes almost nothing overhead.

2: I don't really understand your second question. If you can decode the videoframe faster than the previous frame's duration, then no problem, you wait until you have to draw the frame and then draw it. If you run out of time, then of course it will be delayed. When you getting stream from a camera, there's often some variable delay between arrived packets. It can cause delays between two packets playing. To solve this problem, you can do buffering. Store one frame and start to decode it, when thenext arrived. If you do this you will always have frame to decode and you won't experience delays between packets.

Greetings,

Bendeguy

0 Kudos