Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

UIC no image and Building UIC in Visual Studio

Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner
I have a problem with the UIC sample in IPP 6.0 upd 1, where I can run picnic.exe and execute all its functions, except it will just not display anything (not a single pixel).
I can build it using Intel C++ compiler and QT 4.4.0 pre-built.
However, running the pre-built bin\picnic.exe, it works fine, and this uses the same qt 4.4.0.
I guess something is going wrong with the displaying of the image frame, but it is hard to debug outside Visual Studio.

Does anyone have a Visual Studio solution/project for the UIC sample?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
turks
Beginner
Quoting - Thomas Jensen
I have a problem with the UIC sample in IPP 6.0 upd 1, where I can run picnic.exe and execute all its functions, except it will just not display anything (not a single pixel).
I can build it using Intel C++ compiler and QT 4.4.0 pre-built.
However, running the pre-built binpicnic.exe, it works fine, and this uses the same qt 4.4.0.
I guess something is going wrong with the displaying of the image frame, but it is hard to debug outside Visual Studio.

Does anyone have a Visual Studio solution/project for the UIC sample?

I have the same problem. A VS solution/project from a working picnic would be helpful. Maybe get an eval of QT ?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
How do you build Qt library needed to build picnic application? Did you notice that picnic application build script expect Qt static libraries?

In case of Qt DLLs you may need to add qtmain.lib to picnic build scripts.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner
As I wrote above, I can (succesfully) build the UIC sample, using the material in the sample. I did have to adapt a few wrong entries in the make file relating to linking QT in. Without correcting those entries, the UIC sample will not compile at all.

So, to summarize, the ready-compiled (directly available in the downloaded UIC sample) UIC sample in the bin folder works just fine, using my copy of QT 4.4.0. But when I recompile the UIC sample, the compile process is successful, but picnic.exe will not display any pixels, although it will operate properly otherwise (loading & saving image formats).
Because of this, I need to debug, but doing so with the command line Intel C++ build environment is not a fun thing to do, to say the least. If I had a ready-made Visual Studio solution file, then I would have found and fixed this issue a log time ago. I did create a Visual Studio solution for the now depreciated JpegView sample, but that project was much simpler than the UIC sample (containing QT and .NET code), so that is why I am looking for a ready-made VS solution.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

my concern is on a 'few wrong entries' you have modified in UIC makefile. We carefully test IPP samples build procedure for every release, so it is quite a low probability having wrong entries here. I may guess your enviroment is somewhat different from what we use during sample validation. That is why I notice that picnic application build procedure expect Qt static libraries (not DLL which are default option in Qt).

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner
The wrong entries are in picnic.mak:

Wrong: QT_LIBS = qtmain.lib qtcore.lib qtgui.lib
Correct: QT_LIBS = qtmain.lib qtcore4.lib qtgui4.lib

This is when using QT 4.4.0 because the files qtcore.lib and qtgui.lib does not exist (they have been renamed to qtcore4.lib and qtgui4.lib).
0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner
Ok, since I could not find any VS project for the UIC sample, I created one myself. Since VS2005 complained about corrupt debug information in libqtmain.lib of my pre-built QT 4.4.0, I had to fix that by compiling a fresh QT 4.4.3 SDK using VS2005.

It tool a really long time to build QT! (my workstation is 4 core @ 3GHz, 4GB, Vista32, Raid 5 @ 4x Raptor 150G on 3Ware controller, no AV on the src/obj folders).

Anyway, after this, I ran picnic, and it worked fully as expected.
So, my quest for finding out why picnic (when compiled with Intel C++ didn't want to display any pixels) was halted, the problem was gone.

Now my problem is fixed as I can compile and debug the picnic sample.

I attached a zipped archive of my efforts.
However, I was not able to add QT moc building to this project, so I just included those from the original sample.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

These 'wrong entries' relates to Qt static libraries (in opposite to DLL import librarieswhat basically your 'correct' changes were intended for).

As I said earlier and this also mentioned in sample's readme.htm file, picnic application build scripts expect Qt static libraries.

On the other hand, you did correct changes for Qt DLL libraries (which is default libs available with Qt commercial distribution).

BTW, there is no attachment.

Thanks,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner
I did add files. I did not add an attachment, since that is not offered.
I clicked "Add files" above my edit box.
Then I had to create a folder because otherwise I could not add any file.
Then I uploaded a zip into that folder.

I now checked and see that if I click on my name, I can then click on Files, and then on the folder, and there is my zip file.

Is this the proper way to go?
If not, then where is the choice to attach a file?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Some time ago I created simple description on How to attach file to forum post. Please have a look at it.

Regards,
Vladimnir
0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner
Ok, after having read the (not obviously available) manual, I now have learned how to attach an uploaded file to a post.

Maybe the manual should be placed closer to the context; closer to the upload files screen?

Anyway, my contribution is now available as uic.zip attached to my original post above. Enjoy.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Thanks, as I understand from your earlier post you probably have solved your issue?

If not let me explain how we do test IPP package.
First we have built Qt static library (by call configure -static and than nmake). After that we test picnic application can built and work correctly. Please let us know if this does not work on your side.
Note, we did not test against Qt DLLs.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner
Yes, I solved my issue.

0 Kudos