Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Using zlib data compression?

dom_beau
Beginner

Hello!

We previously used zlib 1.2.3 library for our software. We are now updating this lib and I'm considering switching to the ipp interface. But I don't know how to deal with it. 

1. In the doc, it is written that we can switch from the zlib to the ipp_zlip without any change in the code (?)
  2. I cannot find any header file with declaration for function like, say, gzopen().
  3. But, I can find the gzopen() function in the .exp file. I hope I don't have to do a GetProcAddress() for these functions?
  4. I cannot find any sample code.There are only executables.

Any hint for me? I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to proceed. 

Note: I'm using ICC 13.0.1207.11 (update 3) within Visual Studio 2012 update 2

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Ultimately, you don't need .h files.

Suppose, that you have working project to build your application with original ZLIB. For that you need to have ZLIB deployed somewhere with its "include" dir and its libraries. If your application can be built with original ZLIB, it must be able to be built with IPP ZLIB. All your need is to change linker "Input/Additional dependencies" property from original ZLIB's library file to IPP ZLIB. Either ipp_zlib.lib for static linking or ipp_zlib1.lib for dynamic library.

In default package for Composer/Parallel Studio/etc there are no source files. You can get them if search for "IPP Samples" in Internet.

Regards,
Sergey 

0 Kudos
dom_beau
Beginner

OK, I see.

I got some functions not found like gzwopen()? At this time I assume they have been deprecated in zlib... Is ipp_zlib packaged with Composer XE 13.0 compatible with the last release of zlib (1.2.8 I think so) or a previous one?

In other words, should I install zlib 1.2.8 headers or those for a previous release?

Thanks!

0 Kudos