Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
franknatoli
New Contributor I

Visual Studio Static Linking

Would like to avoid having to bundle any DLLs, whether Intel or Microsoft, with any product that uses IPP and/or UMC. To avoid needing to supply Visual Studio redistributables, it is of course necessary to tweak every UMC related Makefile to use "/MT" not "/MD" and that I've done. And while audio-video-codecs Makefiles already produce full not stub LIBs as delivered from Intel, image-codecs do not, and it was necessary to further tweak all image-codecs Makefiles to create full not stub LIBs in order to avoid a dozen new DLLs.

Now the question is: is it possible to avoid having to package the IPP DLLs? In the process of doing what I describe above, Visual Studio started requesting various ipp*_l.lib files rather than the non-dash-el files. The dash-el files are typically ten times the size of the non-dash-el files and I presume they are statically linked and NOT requiring corresponding DLLs. But I can't convince Visual Studio to use only dash-el files and thus avoid the DLLs.

Is there a way to do this? Remove all references or necessities to IPP DLLs? Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Quoting franknatoli
Would like to avoid having to bundle any DLLs, whether Intel or Microsoft, with any product that uses IPP and/or UMC.
Is there a way to do this? Remove all references or necessities to IPP DLLs? Thanks.

You need to use astatic linking for ALL 3rd party DLLs. That is, fora DLLwithCRT-functions, possibly MFC
DLLs ( if it is used ), IPP DLLs, etc.

Also, try to use MS Depends utility to evaluate what your current list of 3rd party DLLs is.

Best regards,
Sergey

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Quoting franknatoli

Take into account two more cases:

- Delay Loaded DLLs
- DLLs loaded with 'LoadLibrary' or 'LoadLibraryEx' Win32 API functions ( it isthe "worst" case )

Best regards,
Sergey

franknatoli
New Contributor I

Sergey: I am reasonably certain that I have thoroughly removed all references to Microsoft related DLLs. My problem is hidden references to Intel IPP [not UMC] DLLs. For example, I have one VS2010 project that needs to link with ippac.lib [the stub library that effectively links to the complementary DLL]. If I remove ippac.lib from the link instructions, and substitute ippac_l.lib [the full library], the VS2010 linker demands ippac.lib. This cannot be anything related to Microsoft. It must be something in the audio-video-codecs that demands ippac.lib not ippac_l.lib. But how?
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Quoting franknatoli
If I remove ippac.lib from the link instructions, and substitute ippac_l.lib [the full library], the VS2010 linker demands ippac.lib. This cannot be anything related to Microsoft. It must be something in the audio-video-codecs that demands ippac.lib not ippac_l.lib. But how?

Try to search for:

#pragma comment ( lib, "\ippac.lib" )

inthesourcefiles ( *.h, *.cpp, etc ).

Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Try to compile your project with "_IPP_SEQUENTIAL_STATIC" or "_IPP_PARALLEL_STATIC" macros defined. These definitions must put proper directives into object files. There will be no need to update linker input files.
[cpp]#if !defined( _IPP_NO_DEFAULT_LIB )
  #if defined( _IPP_PARALLEL_DYNAMIC )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ippac" )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ippcore" )
  #elif defined( _IPP_PARALLEL_STATIC )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ippac_t" )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ippdc_t" )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ipps_t" )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ippcore_t" )
  #elif defined( _IPP_SEQUENTIAL_STATIC )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ippac_l" )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ippdc_l" )
    #pragma comment( lib, "ipps_l" )