Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

What algorithm was used for function ippiDFTFwd_RToPack_32f_C1R and what is the algorithm complexity?

Zhifei_X_
Beginner

What algorithm was used for function ippiDFTFwd_RToPack_32f_C1R?

And what is the algorithm complexity? like the method in FFTW?

I tried to increase the image size for the ippiDFTFwd_RToPack_32f_C1R, the execution time is not monotone increasing (of couse, 2^n is of the minimum execution time). Is there any theory analysis of the algorithm complexity for ippiDFTFwd_RToPack_32f_C1R? Many thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...What algorithm was used for function ippiDFTFwd_RToPack_32f_C1R? Intel never releases details on internals of some API / algorithms and a generic answer could be as follows: a DFT-like algorithm is used. Please try to search for articles or application notes on Intel web-site related to DFT processing. Note: I checked my collection of Intel articles and I have these two: Split-Radix FFT.17649.pdf SSE in a Fast DCT Algorithm.40981.pdf
0 Kudos
Zhifei_X_
Beginner

Hi, Sergey, could you send me the articles? I tried to search but can not find the pdf files.

Split-Radix FFT.17649.pdf
SSE in a Fast DCT Algorithm.40981.pdf

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Igor_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

IPP DFT is based on vector/image length/size decomposition on primes. Prime factors that have special code branches are 2,3,5,7,11,13. For powers of 2 (FFT) supported radixes are 2,4,8,16 (depends on architecture - radix-8 is supported on Intel64, radix-16 - on Xeon-Phi only). For lengths/sizes that can't be decomposed on these primes (or for reminder parts) - convolution based algorithm is used. In general case you may consider algorithm complexity as ~5*n*log2(n) arithmetic operations per 1 call (1D case, n==vector length).

Regards, Igor

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...could you send me the articles? I tried to search but can not find the pdf files. >> >>Split-Radix FFT.17649.pdf >>SSE in a Fast DCT Algorithm.40981.pdf Yes and I'll do it later today.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>...could you send me the articles? I tried to search but can not find the pdf files. >>>> >>>>Split-Radix FFT.17649.pdf >>>>SSE in a Fast DCT Algorithm.40981.pdf >> >>Yes and I'll do it later today. Here they are.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>Split-Radix FFT.17649.pdf Here is a zip-file with sources.
0 Kudos