Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6712 Discussions

What the heck is ippIP Library? It has annoying error popups in my Apps

digiben
Beginner

Hello, I am confused what the heck is ippIP? I am trying to using things like MSN Messenger and Flash Media Encoder and I keep getting these horribly annoying popup errors saying "No DLLs were found in the waterfall procedure". this happens every couple minutes .. with THREE popups everytime coming up in a row. What is a WATERFALL procedure anyway?? And how do i get rid of this library off my system?

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. I am doing directshow development too, so maybe DirectShow uses this and a registered virtual camera device is being queried every few minutes in MSN Messenger and Flash Media Encoder??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Emmanuel_W_
New Contributor I
Quoting - digiben

Hello, I am confused what the heck is ippIP? I am trying to using things like MSN Messenger and Flash Media Encoder and I keep getting these horribly annoying popup errors saying "No DLLs were found in the waterfall procedure". this happens every couple minutes .. with THREE popups everytime coming up in a row. What is a WATERFALL procedure anyway?? And how do i get rid of this library off my system?

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. I am doing directshow development too, so maybe DirectShow uses this and a registered virtual camera device is being queried every few minutes in MSN Messenger and Flash Media Encoder??

I guess you found the right forum. IPP is a library provided by Intel the provide highly optimized primitives for the intel platforms. It is used in a wide variety of CPUintensiveapplications. DShow filter could be a good candidate (check if you installed recently a new audio or video codec or other related filters).

Emmanuel

PS: are you the Digiben I interacted with a long time ago to discuss the detail of traversing the BSP trees in Quake maps?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,
First of all it tells that some software on your system use IPP DLLs. If that is not you developed software, you probably may guess what you have installed recently (when these pop ups started up to happen). When you find that application please check if you installed that correctly.
The message itself is generated by IPP dynamic dispatcher which is trying to locate most suitable processor specific DLL. Lets consider simple example how it work:
When you use IPP DLL for image processing functions you link your application with ippi.lib which is dynamic dispatcher import library.It will load ippi-6.0.dll when you start your application. This library will detect your processor features and will try to load appropriate processor specific DLL which contain functions optimized for that processor. IPP provide several processor specific libraries, for example ippiw7-6.0.dll forIntel Pentium 4processor family, ippiv8-6.0.dll for Intel Core 2 processor family, ippipx-6.0dll for generic C code which will work on any 100% Intel IA32 compatible processor (not use MMX or SSE instruction set). Now, let imagine you have IntelPentium 4 classprocessor but you only have ippiv8-6.0.dll (say, installer did not set the whole IPP libraries staff for you). In this case, dispatcher will detect that processor you are running on do not support Core 2 instruction set and will look for libraries which work on previous processors. It will start looking from ippit7-6.0, then ippiw7-6.0 and finally ippipx-6.0 libraries. This procedure is called waterfall. If no libraries found which can run on your system then you will see the message which tells you that IPP dispatcher was not able to find IPP library which may run on your system. You needaddlibraries with appropriate version to your application. If that is third party application please contact with developers, they definetely have missed the possibility that you may run on older processor
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos