Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Xcode "compact unwind" warnings

gauss256
Beginner
When using IPP with Xcode 4 on OS X I get hundreds of warnings along the lines of:
ld: warning: could not create compact unwind
A KB article from 18 months ago said that an Apple update was expected to fix this. Has there been any progress on that, or is there any way to suppress those warning messages? There are so many of them that true warnings may be getting lost once the maximum number of warnings has been reached.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Gauss,

What's your OSX version?
Would youplease try to
add -no_compact_unwind to the link line to suppress the warning message.

The option is totell the linker (ld)to notproduce compact unwind information
for example,add option "-Wl,-no_compact_unwind" to builder makefile

gcc -arch i386 -arch x86_64... -Wl,-no_compact_unwind... -o "$(name).dylib"

and see if it works?

Best Regards,
Ying H.

0 Kudos
Torrey_Lyons
Beginner
Using Xcode 4.3.2 on Lion (Mac OS X 10.7.3) adding -Wl,-no_compact_unwind to "Other Linker Flags" removes that warning, but it sprays a bunch of other warnings instead:

ld: warning: direct access in __ZN3UMC20ColorSpaceConversion8GetFrameEPNS_9MediaDataES2_ to global weak symbol __ZN3UMC9VideoData12GetClassNameEv means the weak symbol cannot be overridden at runtime. This was likely caused by different translation units being compiled with different visibility settings.

ld: warning: direct access in __ZN3UMC20ColorSpaceConversion8GetFrameEPNS_9MediaDataES2_ to global weak symbol __ZN3UMC9VideoData12GetClassNameEv means the weak symbol cannot be overridden at runtime. This was likely caused by different translation units being compiled with different visibility settings.

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hello torrey,

I checked the problem in internet, see some solutions as <<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8685045/xcode-with-boost-linkerid-warning-about-visibility-settings>>.

would you please try :
set for an entire target or project with the Symbols Hidden by Default build setting to YES
and rebuild all.

let us know how it works?

Thanks
Ying

0 Kudos