Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

link error with IPP 5.3, gcc 4.2.1, x86_64, MacOSX 10.6

oku
Beginner
Hi,

after upgrading MacOSX to 10.6 and switching my local development target architecture to x86/64 bit I get the following link error on my standard project:

ld: in /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/Current/lib/libippimerged.a(piswap_split_mx_ippiSwapChannels_8u_C4IR.o), ObjectFileAddressSpace::mappedAddress(0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC) not in any section

What can I do about this?

Hints:
Versions: IPP5.3.1.056, gcc 4.2.1 on MacOSX 10.6 build 10A432

lipo -info /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/Current/lib/libippimerged.a
yields
Architectures in the fat file: /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/Current/lib/libippimerged.a are: x86_64 i386

This used to work before.
0 Kudos
34 Replies
Pavel_B_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - oku
Yes, you have proven (like me), that a static IPP library, which was created on MacOSX 10.5 (or before), can not be used on MacOSX 10.6. But maybe a static IPP library created on MacOSX 10.6 can be linked on MacOSX 10.5?

It doens't dependon which version of MacOSX used for compiling, I compile my test.c on MacOSX 10.6 and the problem are. It depend only from Intel compiler and version of ld. It is the reason why I suggest to use MacOSX 10.5 for linking your application.
I don't know what the reason of problem: Intel compiler or new version of ld, it is investigation right now.

Pavel.
0 Kudos
Mikael_Grev
Beginner

Pavel,

Do you work at or for Intel? If not, is there anyone at Intel that is looking at this?

I want my Snow Leopard.

Cheers,
Mikael
0 Kudos
oku
Beginner
Quoting - Pavel Berdnikov

It doens't dependon which version of MacOSX used for compiling, I compile my test.c on MacOSX 10.6 and the problem are.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough: I was talking about the ipp library itself. Genrerally, static libraries created on MacOSX 10.6 can of course be linked on MacOSX 10.6!
It depend only from Intel compiler and version of ld. It is the reason why I suggest to use MacOSX 10.5 for linking your application.
I don't know what the reason of problem: Intel compiler or new version of ld, it is investigation right now.

I do not use the Intel compiler at all. I am using gcc for compiling, as well as for linking, so the Intel compiler can not be the problem when USING the library. It CAN on the other hand be the problem when CREATING the static IPP libs (I guess, Intel use their own compiler for compiling the IPP).

I can not test this myself, since I would need the IPP source code. Only somebody at Intel with access to the IPP source code can do this: Create the static IPP libs on MacOSX 10.6 using the bin utils available there. I am almost sure, those could be linked on MacOSX 10.6. The only question would be, could those be linked on MacOSX 10.5 as well? If this is the case, Intel could distribute those and all would be well.

0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

This issues looks like it's related to a known issue with the compiler documented here. We found this problem during the 11.1 compiler beta, and the compiler / compiler runtime libraries was fixed during the 11.1 beta. This was both a problem with the compiler, and a change in the ld tool for OSX 10.6.

It looks like the performance libraries are built with an older compiler.
0 Kudos
Mikael_Grev
Beginner
Quoting - Qale (Intel)

This issues looks like it's related to a known issue with the compiler documented here. We found this problem during the 11.1 compiler beta, and the compiler / compiler runtime libraries was fixed during the 11.1 beta. This was both a problem with the compiler, and a change in the ld tool for OSX 10.6.

It looks like the performance libraries are built with an older compiler.

Hello Qale,

Is there any official (or unofficial, which I won't hold you to) date for an update that fixes this?

Cheers,
Mikael
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel
Quoting - mikaelgrev

Hello Qale,

Is there any official (or unofficial, which I won't hold you to) date for an update that fixes this?

Cheers,
Mikael

No datethat I know of, I only saw this thread today. The performance library folks are aware of this. You should file a bug at https://premier.intel.com to get update on a fix.
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel
If possible, try linking against the dynamic version of the library to see if that works for you.
0 Kudos
Pavel_B_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - mikaelgrev

Hello Qale,

Cheers,
Mikael

Hello Mikael!

The IPP 6.1 gold will be released with fixing thebug for MacOSX 10.6. It will be IPP 6.1 gold update 2 or 3. I don't know exactly right now and don't know about the date right now. I'll say about date late.

Pavel.
0 Kudos
Mikael_Grev
Beginner

Hello Mikael!

The IPP 6.1 gold will be released with fixing thebug for MacOSX 10.6. It will be IPP 6.1 gold update 2 or 3. I don't know exactly right now and don't know about the date right now. I'll say about date late.

Pavel.
Thanks Pavel!

Much appreciated.

Micke
0 Kudos
oku
Beginner

Hello Mikael!

Pavel.

Thank you: finally, these are good news!

0 Kudos
Pavel_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi All!

the IPP 6.1 gold update 2 without this bug will be soon (1-2 weeks)

Pavel

0 Kudos
Artem_V_Intel
Employee
Hello,

The Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition 11.1 Update 3 for Mac OS X is avalaible now at the Intel Registration Center.

bash-3.2# cat csupport
Package ID: m_cproc_p_11.1.076

This package contains:
Intel C++ Compiler for Mac OS* X version 11.1
Intel Debugger for Mac OS* X version 11.1
Intel Integrated Performance Primitives 6.1 Update 2 for Mac OS* X
Intel Math Kernel Library 10.2 Update 2 for Mac OS* X
Intel Threading Building Blocks 2.2 for Mac OS X, Update 1

For information about how to find Technical Support, Product Updates, User Forums, FAQs, tips and tricks, and other support information, please visit http://www.intel.com/software/products/support/cmac .

Note: If your distributor provides technical support for this product, please contact them for support rather than Intel.

You need a valid license to use this product.bash-3.2#

I checked two examples of unsuccessful linking from posts #8 and #19. Please see the results below.

My configuration:
bash-3.2# icc -V
Intel C Intel 64 Compiler Professional for applications running on Intel 64, Version 11.1 Build 20091012 Package ID: m_cproc_p_11.1.076
Copyright (C) 1985-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
bash-3.2# sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.6
BuildVersion: 10A432

#8:
bash-3.2# gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64 main.c -I /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1
/076/Frameworks/ipp/include/ -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/076/Frameworks/ipp/lib -lippsemerged -lippsmerged -lippiemerged -lippimerged -lippcore -o ippTest
main.c: In function 'main':
main.c:18: warning: 'ippiResize_8u_C3R' is deprecated (declared at /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/076/Frameworks/ipp/include/ippi.h:5087)

I added two libraries into original link line. Without this unresolved dependencies error will be obtained.

#19:
bash-3.2# icc -c test.c -o test.o
bash-3.2# echo -e "_myfunc" > lib.script
bash-3.2# libtool -dynamic -arch_only x86_64 -exported_symbols_list ./lib.script test.o -o libmytest.dylib
bash-3.2#

Thanks,
Art

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel
Hi Mikael,

This problem has been fixed in IPP 6.1 update 2 release. This package is included in the latest Compiler Professional Edition for Mac OS* X, Version 11.1 Update 3.

Thanks,
Chao
0 Kudos
Mikael_Grev
Beginner
Quoting - Chao Y (Intel)
Hi Mikael,

This problem has been fixed in IPP 6.1 update 2 release. This package is included in the latest Compiler Professional Edition for Mac OS* X, Version 11.1 Update 3.

Thanks,
Chao

Thank you Chao!

I will try it asap. And upgrade my other computers to Snow Leaoperd. :)

Cheers,
Mikael
0 Kudos