Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

reason for parallel studio xe 2017 with ipp download?

CHUTH
Novice
I have Parallel Studio XE 2017 installed, which I presume is what has put down the IPP files. It has inserted itself into VS2015. I noticed this by the blue bar at the right edge of code windows, and hitting the Options... context menu that appears on clicking within the bar. I have no Intel compilers installed. What is the purpose of PSXE17? Did I select the wrong download? Windows. I wanted IPP 2017, Community version (or as the free version may be called). Last I used IPP was mostly in the v3 and v4 days, for ARM.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Intel IPP is one of the components in the Parallel Studio suite which includes several other libraries and tools. You can get IPP from community licensed PSXE, or, you can go here to download community licensed IPP only. Hope this helps. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CHUTH
Novice

I went there, to "or, you can go here to download ... IPP only" but got the same file, which is hard-set to integrate into vs2015.  Here are four images showing what I keep getting.  The goal is to only install IPP, not PSXE, nor any vs2015 integration.

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Although PSXE directory is created during IPP only installation, other components in PSXE are not installed except for IPP. There is no stand alone version of IPP yet for commercial license, so for community license, IPP is still under the hood of PSXE, but all other PSXE components will not be installed, and during installation, IPP is connected with VS2015, but you should be able to choose any IDE you prefer. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CHUTH
Novice

Hi, what you describe is not clear to me.  You write,

...IPP is still under the hood of PSXE, but all other PSXE components will not be installed, and during installation (my emphasis), IPP is connected with VS2015...

Take another look at psxe_3.png ( https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/c9/c4/psxe_3.png ).  This is PSXE.  Inside vs2015.  Why?

And then there is psxe_1.png ( https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/c9/c4/psxe_1.png ), where it says:

Configuration Options:

Add integration into Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 software

While it claims that as an option, there is no way to avoid that integration (see psxe_3.png).  How is that an option then?  I take it it's okay to install, copy the IPP standalone product, then uninstall.  Or is there really a standalone installer for IPP, which psxe_4.png indicates might exist.

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. Commercial IPP license is not a standalone product yet, only for community license, you can install IPP only, which by default IPP is connected with VS2015 already. I understand what you meant by Option, but for this installation, you can't turn it off, it is like an addon, but you have the option to not use VS2015 without any problem. I don't see PSXE being installed from psxe_3.png, and psxe_4.png shows what I said earlier. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CHUTH
Novice

Starting over, but this is my last post.

1. I want the community IPP, not commercial

2. Community IPP installed psxe 2017 (the link you gave me to go to (the "here" link in msg#2):  that download was a duplicate of what I first downloaded so got me no where different)

2a. This psxe 2017 install and hook into vs2015 is seen in psxe_3.png - the "Intel Compilers and Tools" menu is not there before installing the "community IPP download", and it is gone after I uninstalled "community IPP download"

3. Regarding what psxe_4.png shows, see 2, and 2a, above.  What psxe_4.png says (community IPP is standalone) is not true since psxe 2017 is installed, and hooks into vs2015 -- other than that image in the .png, the IDE editor window is altered by having a vertical blue bar at the far right, which presents a context menu that...yes, goes right to that Options setting menu, "Intel Compilers and Tools/Optimization Reports"

I think there is a simple miscommunication between me and you, or the download is wrong, or both.  In any case, nothing so far is as you claim, and also that what you claim seems to be inconsistent: you say there is no stand-alone, then you say there is, and so on.

A way to solve my problem is this.  Point to the exact URL where the stand-alone IPP download is located.  Your "here" link above went to a general page that is, frankly, typical Intel: needlessly vague and inconsistent: come on!  What is this "Aviary" stuff?  It's silly.  And it looks a mess in the browser I use (FF48).  What's so hard about a single page with download links that any reasonable person can read and understand?

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Through that link posted earlier, you should be able to click down to this link https://registrationcenter.intel.com/en/forms/?productid=2558&licensetype=2 where you download. Can you see it now?

0 Kudos