Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

simple_player doesn't play MPEG-2

abalk
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using IPP version 6.1.2.051 on a x86_64 Linux system with gcc 4.4.3, the script .../audio-video-codecs/buildem64t.sh on my system ran successfully - every codec "PASSED" and the 3 applications (simple_player, umc_h264_dec_con, umc_video_enc_con) compiled without issue.

However simple_player cannot play MPEG-2 video. It plays H.264 fine in several different container formats that I tried, but MPEG-2 video doesn't play in any container even though there was no issue building the "mpeg2_dec" codec.

There is no Video Info displayed when the video codec is MPEG-2 like with H.264. With H.264 it says:

Stream Type : MPEG2T
Video Info :
-Video Type : H264
-Resolution : 528x480
-Frame Rate : 29.97

(this is for H.264 video in an MPEG-2 Transport Stream container). For MPEG-2 video nothing is shown.

I also noticed in the umc_video_enc_con application, there is no option to encode in MPEG-2 video (which would be h262).

Is MPEG-2 video supported in IPP?

Thanks,

abalk

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chao_Y_Intel

Hi Abalk,

MPEG2 is supported. Could you please attach a stream? so we can have a check.

Thanks,
Chao
0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Just now i checked with IPP v6.1 update 6 (30 Jul 2010),

simple_player.exe -vdx test.mpg

By using above mentioned command everything wasworking fine. Even it was working on other IPP 6.1 releases.

Regards,

Naveen Gv

0 Kudos
abalk
Beginner

Thanks for the info.

After more looking around, I found an MPEG-2 source that simple_player can play. This is the output I have now when running (no options, just "simple_player filename.mpg")

Audio Render : NULL
Video Render : SDL
-RenderFormat: YV12

Stream Type : MPEG2T
Video Info :
-Video Type : MPEG2
-Resolution : 704x480
-Frame Rate : 29.97
Audio Info :
-Audio Type : AC3
-S.Frequency : 48000
-Num.Channel : 2
-BitPerSample: 16

I tried to upload several MPEG-2 sources that simple_player will not play but when I click "add files" in the forum it only gives me an option to create folders. Is there some method to create the folder and put the file in the folder? I am using Firefox 3.6.9 on Linux

Also one other question- the Audio Render is always "NULL" and I have no sound on any clip I try to play either MPEG-2 or H.264. I am using the alsa sound package on Linux. Any trouble shooting steps? simple_player knows it has AC3 2 channel audio, but apparently doesn't know what to do with it...

thanks

abalk

0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

See this forum thread to get more information about How to attach file to a forum thread, I hope this will work on Firefox as well.

Regards,

Naveen Gv

0 Kudos
abalk
Beginner

Not possible to upload files with Firefox 3.6.9 on Linux in this forum. The folder gets created, but then the Edit button does not open a file dialog.

0 Kudos
abalk
Beginner
In Linux, how can I re-compile simple_player only, without having to recompile all of audio-video-codecs with buildem64t.sh ? The Makefile will only run successfully when called from the buildem64.sh. I am looking for "make simple_player" or equivalent.
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

No such makefile in the sample code.

You can check buildem64.sh file, in the following line:

for source in core/* codec/* io/* pipeline/* application/*

change it to:

for source in core/* codec/* io/* pipeline/* application/simple_player

It will only build simpleplayer application. But I think this may not help reduce the building time, as most of time in the sample code are used to build the UMC libraries, which simple player application uses.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

I think you may can use the following line tobuild the simpleplayer appliction only,notother libraries.

source in application/simple_player

also comment thefollowing line in the bash file, which will deleteall of the libraries you have built.

[ -d ${ROOT_DIR} ] && rm -rf ${ROOT_DIR}

Thanks
Chao
0 Kudos