Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

uic_transcoder cannot decode some BMP and TIF images

idana
Beginner

Hello,

I tried to transcode the attached BMP file and got the following error:

Intel Integrated Performance Primitives

version: 7.0 build 205.58, [7.0.1032.205]

name: ippjy8-7.0.dll+

date: Apr 18 2011

BMP decoder error: can not read header

Error in DecodeImage finction!

Intel Integrated Performance Primitives version: 7.0 build 205.58, [7.0.1032.205] name: ippjy8-7.0.dll+ date: Apr 18 2011BMP decoder error: can not read headerError in DecodeImage finction!

I use the latest UIC version 7.0.6.060

Another attached TIF causes the same problem:

Intel Integrated Performance Primitives

version: 7.0 build 205.58, [7.0.1032.205]

name: ippjy8-7.0.dll+

date: Apr 18 2011

TIFF decoder error: can not read header

Error in DecodeImage finction!

IrfanView succeeds to decode both.

Please advise me how can I fix the error.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Please take a look at a screenshot enclosed. I used an ImageJ utility and in both cases it detected some
problems with test images. But, it doesn't mean that everything is good with IPP function(s) you used.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee
Hi,
UIC doesn't support 16 bits-per-pixel BMP and compressed (LZW compression in your case) TIFFs.
Regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
idana
Beginner
Ok, I understand.

Are these details documented in UIC?
How can I know what kind of compression/other params are supported for TIFF, PNG, BMP, etc.?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Ryan_Wong
Beginner
How can I know what kind of compression/other params are supported for TIFF, PNG, BMP, etc.?
It is assumed the user of UIC has the ability to fully understand the UIC sample by reading, and assume responsibility for making modifications to UIC to suit the user's needs.
The UIC BMP codec only supports 8-bit (8UC1), 24-bit (8UC3) and 32-bit (8UC4) per pixel. Both top-down and bottom-up are supported. It does not support 1-bit, 2-bit, 4-bit (paletted or gray) bitmaps or RLE encoding.
The UIC TIFF codec only supports uncompressed TIFF. To support other TIFF formats, typically there is no other choice other than to integrate with LibTIFF.
PNG supports all PNG codecs because the UIC PNG sample is based on a modified version of LibPNG internally.
0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee
Quoting Ryan Wong
It is assumed the user of UIC has the ability to fully understand the UIC sample by reading, and assume responsibility for making modifications to UIC to suit the user's needs.

Ryan, you are perfectly right! But anyway, we will add a description of modes and specifics into all codecs' readmes.

Regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
idana
Beginner
Thank you, Ryan!
0 Kudos
Ryan_Wong
Beginner

Unfortunately, because of the lack of support for compressed TIFF, the UIC TIFF sample is nearly useless for us.

Is there any plan to add support for compressed TIFF? TIFF-LZW, TIFF-ZIP, TIFF-Group4 and TIFF-JPEG being the most desirable.

Thanks for the continued enrichment of the IPP library.

0 Kudos