Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

upgrade video codec h264 sample for ipp 7 to ipp 9

cecile_v_
Beginner

Hello,

We have been using IPP 7 and their related version of h264 codec samples (vm, umc,…) but we have recently been facing some issues with new targets (Windows 8.1 tablets).

To benefit from Windows 8.1 support as stated in IPP 9 release note, we have bought ipp 9.

But in this version, it turns out that samples are deprecated...

Is there a h264 codec sample compliant with IPP 9 ?

How can I upgrade our h264 codec implementation based on samples and ipp 7 to ipp 9 ?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Cecile,

Intel decided to support video codecs now in software and hardware with the Intel® Media Server Studio product line and to give those special focus. You can get more information about the product here.

Due to the complexity of video codecs and the new industry standards we support (including HEVC, VPx), video codecs are no longer part of IPP. Intel® Media Server Studio comes with additional tools and libraries and is also supporting h264 on Windows 8.1. You can simply start downloading the package from the link. There is a Trial and a Community Edition, both free of charge. A separate tutorial and further more advanced samples which will help you move your code from IPP7 over to Intel® Media Server Studio.

Let me know if this information helps you.

Best,

Bjoern Bruecher

0 Kudos
cecile_v_
Beginner

Thanks for this useful information, it makes the picture clearer.

Another question: Do the H264 provided in Media Server Studio use IPP ?

If yes in which version ?

If no, how do you deal with performance ?

Thanks again for your help

Best

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Hi Cecile,

H264 from Media Server Studio is a part of Intel Media SDK (not a part of IPP). Media SDK accelerates video processing not only via CPU features optimization (like IPP), it uses acceleration via GPU processing.

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos
cecile_v_
Beginner

Hi

Moving my code from IPP7 to Media Server Studio seems to be large step...

As my concern is Windows 8.1 support and it seems to be supported in IPP8 (can you confirm ?), can you please give me access to IPP 8 ?

Maybe the transition will be smoother.

thanks and regards

cécile

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Cecile,

Intel® Media Server Studio is a comprehensive suite that enables development by providing access to the underlying media features that are exposed via the MediaSDK and the drivers (Linux* and Windows*), OpenCL™ Code Builder, and other enterprise-grade validation tools. Besides other codecs, the H264 codec is part of the underlying MediaSDK. There is no IPP in the MediaSDK.

Intel® Media Server Studio is also covering new codecs including HEVC/H265 and VP9 besides H264/AVC, VC-1, MPEG-2, and MJPEG. The article on “The alternatives for Intel® IPP legacy domains and functions” gives you directions on where to go and what to do on deprecated IPP functions.

Performance wise you can take advantage of the underlying processor HW capabilities when moving to Intel® Media Server Studio. Intel provided dedicated fixed function units in processor silicon for media acceleration including for H264 codec. While IPP video functions were written in SW targeting the CPU only, you will experience a significant performance boost moving to Intel Media Server Studio taking advantage of Intel® Quick Sync Video. Give the new tutorial and samples a try.

Best,

Bjoern Bruecher

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Cecile,

If you don’t want to use Intel® Media Server Studio, you can use the latest IPP 9.0 legacy libraries instead. Moving to IPP8 is not what I would recommend here as you will miss fixes done in the legacy part of IPP 9.0.

Long term I recommend to move to the Intel® Media Server Studio as Intel is not going to optimize those IPP legacy libraries for future processors and OSes. Please see the article here.

Best,

Bjoern Bruecher

0 Kudos
cecile_v_
Beginner

I understand your recommendation. We will definitely use Intel® Media Server Studio in a second step.

In a first step, based on our experience on another Linux project where we have upgraded from IPP7 to IPP8 by "simple copy/paste", we would like to try IPP8 and rapidly check if it solves our customer issue.

I was hoping the same rapid upgrade with IPP9 but it seems libraries and interface files have changed a lot compared to IPP7. I would greatly appreciate if you had a tutorial or guide in this perspective, or an access to IPP8.

thanks and regards

0 Kudos
cecile_v_
Beginner

Hello,

Can eventually Intel provide me with IPP8 for Windows, having bought IPP9 ???

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

cecile v. wrote:

Hello,

Can eventually Intel provide me with IPP8 for Windows, having bought IPP9 ???

Thanks and regards

Hi Cecile,

as I know IPP9 is a part of Intel Parallel Studio 2016 and IPP8 is a part of Intel Parallel Studio 2015. In fact - these are 2 different products. But I think Intel Premier support can grant you access to Intel Parallel Studio 2015. If Parallel Studio 2015 is not available to you from Intel web site, try to contact Intel Premier support.

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Cecile,

I send you message handling your request. Let me know if this worked for you.

Best,

Bjoern

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Cecile,

I am closing this open here as we solved it.

Best,

Bjoern

0 Kudos