Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

use of umc to create h264 encoder

johno74
Beginner
Hi,

I'd like to build a test application to encode a yuv stream to h264 and I have been reading http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/getting-started-with-intel-ipp-unified-media-classes-sample/ and the UMC Reference manual which demonstrates use of UMC::H264VideoEncoder

I have installed version 2011.3.174 of the IPP ( trial version) and l_ipp-samples_p_7.0.3.040. I am using GCC 4.3.2 to build on Linux on ia32.

I am confused about the relationship bewteen IPP and UMC. UMC seems to be distributed only via the samples download, is this true. So, after purchasing a license, and I wanted to distribute a h264 encoder application using IPP and UMC I would need to redistribute the relevant IPP libraries and also library based on a sample ?

Also, when I create the H264 encoder described in "Creating a simple encoder", can I link against lib264_enc.a directly or must I link against a umc library.

John
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Joseph_S_Intel
Employee
Hi John,
Yes UMC is distributed only with the samples, and they take advantage of the Intel IPP libraries, so you would also distribute the relevant Intel IPP library with your application. Intel IPP redistributable libraries can be distributed royalty free.

I am investigating your question about linking against lib264_enc.a.

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hello,

To use UMC encoding sample code, it needs to link both with the UMC libraries, and with IPP libraries:

After building UMC sample code, you will find a list of UMC libraries at _bin/linuxxxx_xxx folder. These library need to be linked into your application. If you are using encoding application, you can check application/umc_video_enc_con/link_list.ini file to lean the libraries needed for encoders, and check audio-video-codecs\Makefile to learn IPP libraries need to linked into the applications.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
johno74
Beginner
Thanks Walter and Chao.
0 Kudos