Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

MPI error on Windows

qiuck16
New Contributor I

I installed Visual Studio Community 2022 17.8.3 and w_BaseKit_p_2024.0.1.45_offline.exe and w_HPCKit_p_2024.0.1.35_offline.exe.

The PATH is still not set correctly. I have to add C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\latest\bin to PATH manually.  See the issue I posted before Re: "Could not find impi.dll" when running a simple MPI either C or Fortran program - Intel Community

After I ran a simple MPI program, the following error occurred. 

Abort(1090191) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init: Unknown error class, error stack: MPIR_Init_thread(189)........: MPID_Init(1561)..............: MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1546): (unknown)(): Unknown error class [unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=1090191 : system msg for write_line failure : No error Abort(1090191) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init: Unknown error class, error stack: MPIR_Init_thread(189)........: MPID_Init(1561)..............: MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1546): (unknown)(): Unknown error class [unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=1090191 : system msg for write_line failure : No error

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

Please follow steps listed in this documentation to configure VS project correctly with Intel MPI library: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/mpi-library/developer-guide-windows/2021-11/configuring-a-microsoft-visual-studio-project.html 

Let me know if this helps to resolve this issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
VeenaJ_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel communities! I have tested the code you provided. The issue was not recreated. To assist you further, I kindly request the following information:

Detailed steps for recreation

Configuration settings for Visual Studio

Regards,

Veena

0 Kudos
Bilal_B_
Novice

Hi VeenaJ_Intel, 

I posted a reply to you today with attached files and screenshots. I saw it for a bit and then it vanished. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Bilal_B_
Novice

Hi,

(1)  I have the same problem with my installation of Visual Studio Community 2022 (Version 17.8.3) and OneAPI Basekit (w_BaseKit_p_2024.0.1.45_offline.exe) with HPC Tool kit (w_HPCKit_p_2024.0.1.35_offline.exe) on my 64-bit WIn10 Pro Workstation (Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, 22H2, OS Build 19045.3803).

(2) This Workstation is a completely new build (With AMD Threadripper Pro 5995WX CPU , 512GB RAM) with only these three software installations. So there is no competing or legacy compiler or MPI installation issues)

(3) I am using the attached Fortran code (HelloWorld2024(mpi).f ) which runs fine on a second computer with MS Visual Studio Pro 2017 and Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2020 (Intel Visual Fortran extension version 19.1.0057.15, Package ID: w_comp_lib_2020.2.254) with Intel MPI Library (Runtime Environment 2019 Update 5, 2019.0.5.068)  

(4) Copy of the installed products in my Visual Studios 2022 is attached (Microsoft Visual Studio Community Installed Products - 12-30-2023.txt)

(5) I have explicitly provided the paths for relevant mpi libraries, include files, etc., and the images of each of the configuration screens I changed in the Debugging, Fortran and Linker, and the command lines for the compiler and linker)

(6) The relevant screen shots of the configuration screens, compilation and runtime screens are attached.

(7) A screen shot of my environment variables is also attached.

The runtime error I get is:

Abort(1090191) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init: Unknown error class, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(189)........:
MPID_Init(1561)..............:
MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1546):
(unknown)(): Unknown error class
Press any key to continue . . .

I have spent many days trying to resolve this and making sure all needed paths are defined, but to no avail. I will greatly help any input and help I can get.

Thank you! 

PS: The Fortran file will be in the follow-up post since I exceeded the number of attachments

A suggestion to Intel: It will be a great help if someone at Intel can post a document which will systematically show how to setup Visual Studies 2022 to run Intel Fortran mpi code (such as this HelloWorld2024mpi.f) in Debug and Release configurations. Such a document was available for Parallel Studios XE and MS Visual Studios, and was exceptionally helpful.  

0 Kudos
Bilal_B_
Novice

Hi VeenaJ_Intel,

I have the same problem, I have been going at it (in circles) for days, and (desperately) need help.

• My previous setup which worked for years:
    1. The attached HelloWorld2024mpi.f Fortran code runs fine on my previous Win10 Pro workstation (with dual Xeon E5-2669v4 CPUs). On that computer I have Visual Studios Pro 2017 (Version 15.9.55), where I have Parallel Studios XE 2020 (Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler – extension version 19.1.0057.15, Package ID: w_comp_lib_2020.2.254) with Intel MPI Library, Runtime Environment 2019 Update 5 (2019.0.5.068).
  • My new setup which has not worked:1.My new build uses AMD Threadripper Pro 5995WX. It is a new build and the only programs loaded on it are Visual Studios Community 2022 64-bit (version 17.8.3), with Intel OneAPI BaseKit (w_BaseKit_p_2024.0.1.45_offline.exe) and HPCKit (w_HPCKit_p_2024.0.1.35_offline.exe), installed in the same sequence. These three are the only programs installed so there are no other competing and /or legacy installation issues.
    1. The list of installed products in Visual studios is attached (Microsoft Visual Studio Community Installed Products - 12-30-2023.txt)
    2. I have manually put in the paths for the various mpi libraries and include files. Sevel (7) Screen shots of the 64-bit Release Configuration pages I changed are attached.
    3. I also copied over the impi.dll file to the \release folder where the HelloWorld2024mpi.exe executable is located.
    4. The are no compilation errors and the screen shot of the Rebuild and Runtime Output screen is attached.
    5. The console output I get is as follows:   

Abort(1090191) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Init: Unknown error class, error stack:

MPIR_Init_thread(189)........:

MPID_Init(1561)..............:

MPIDI_OFI_mpi_init_hook(1546):

(unknown)(): Unknown error class

Press any key to continue . . .

Your help and the help of all others is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

PS: It will be of great help if Intel can publish a document which explains in a step-by-step manner the setup of Visual Studios to run a simple MPI program like HelloWorld2024mpi.f. There was a document like that for Visual Studios 2017, and that was extremely helpful to run Parallel Studios XE 2020. Both release and debug setups will be needed.    

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Please follow steps listed in this documentation to configure VS project correctly with Intel MPI library: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/mpi-library/developer-guide-windows/2021-11/configuring-a-microsoft-visual-studio-project.html 

Let me know if this helps to resolve this issue. 

0 Kudos
Byung-Hyun_You

By the way, $(I_MPI_ONEAPI_ROOT)\bin has only debug folder but release.
I wonder if it was intended.

0 Kudos
Byung-Hyun_You

Append following path to PATH
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mpi\latest\opt\mpi\libfabric\bin

WangHuaming
Beginner

This method useful for me and successfully solved my problem.

0 Kudos
Rafael_L_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Bilal_B_
Novice

Hi Rafael, Devorah and Byung-Hyun,

Thank you for your suggestions. Rafael via Intel Support had noted that the environment variables had to be set in the Visual Studios 2022. Needed to be done just once. I did that, and now the same configurational setup is working fine in running the HelloWorld2024mpi.f code on 4 cores.

Thank you Rafael and Intel Support!

Best regards,