Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2174 ディスカッション

Windows - IntelMPI 2021.8 unable to stop 4 processes by killing mpiexec

DanSilva
ビギナー
938件の閲覧回数

Hi,

I came across a potential issue with launching 4 processes for notepad using IntelMPI 2021.8. 

I can launch the processes using Windows PowerShell and navigating to the folder where IntelMPI 2021.8 (and mpiexec.exe) is installed and run the following command form Windows PowerShell:

• .\mpiexec.exe -np 4 "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"

It launches 4 notepad processes and mpiexec.exe (from which I can see in task manager). However when I kill mpiexec.exe in task manager I would expect the 4 notepad processes to die as well but they do not. They hang.

In tried with IntelMPI 2018.3.210. When I run the same command as above using IntelMPI 2018.3.210 I get 4 notepad processes and when I kill mpiexec.exe it automatically kills the 4 processes as well.

So I was wondering about this difference in behaviour between MPI versions. By killing mpiexec.exe should it not kill all attached processes (as seen in version 2018.3.210)?

Thanks in advance.

0 件の賞賛
1 解決策
AishwaryaCV_Intel
モデレーター
893件の閲覧回数

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Community.

Please set the following environment variable.

I_MPI_HYDRA_BSTRAP_KEEP_ALIVE

Set this variable to keep hydra_bstrap_proxy alive after launching hydra_pmi_proxy.

Syntax

I_MPI_HYDRA_BSTRAP_KEEP_ALIVE=<arg>

Argument

<arg> Binary indicator
enable | yes | on | 1 Do not close hydra_bstrap_proxy.
disable | no | off | 0 Close hydra_bstrap_proxy. This is the default value.

Description

Set this variable to keep hydra_bstrap_proxy alive after launching hydra_pmi_proxy. It allows you to keep full process tree (mpiexec —> hydra_bstrap_proxy —> hydra_pmi_proxy —> app) connected on localhost. The default value closes hydra_bstrap_proxy to reduce the number of running processes.

Please refer this link 

Thanks and regards,

Aishwarya

元の投稿で解決策を見る

4 返答(返信)
AishwaryaCV_Intel
モデレーター
894件の閲覧回数

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Community.

Please set the following environment variable.

I_MPI_HYDRA_BSTRAP_KEEP_ALIVE

Set this variable to keep hydra_bstrap_proxy alive after launching hydra_pmi_proxy.

Syntax

I_MPI_HYDRA_BSTRAP_KEEP_ALIVE=<arg>

Argument

<arg> Binary indicator
enable | yes | on | 1 Do not close hydra_bstrap_proxy.
disable | no | off | 0 Close hydra_bstrap_proxy. This is the default value.

Description

Set this variable to keep hydra_bstrap_proxy alive after launching hydra_pmi_proxy. It allows you to keep full process tree (mpiexec —> hydra_bstrap_proxy —> hydra_pmi_proxy —> app) connected on localhost. The default value closes hydra_bstrap_proxy to reduce the number of running processes.

Please refer this link 

Thanks and regards,

Aishwarya

DanSilva
ビギナー
880件の閲覧回数

Thanks Aishwarya for the information.

I have set the environment variable to I_MPI_HYDRA_BSTRAP_KEEP_ALIVE = yes. I can clearly see all my processes (mpiexec —> hydra_bstrap_proxy —> hydra_pmi_proxy —> app) in task manager. However, I would expect that killing mpiexec.exe should kill all the remain processes including the app (notepad.exe in here).  Is this not the case? If I kill mpiexec.exe all the remain processes stay alive (I would expect them to die as well). I observe this in 2021.8.

In version 2018.3.210 if I kill mpiexec.exe, notepad.exe dies as well.

Thanks again,

Dan

DanSilva
ビギナー
779件の閲覧回数

Just wanted to say that this has solved my problem in my original application.

Thanks once again

Dan

AishwaryaCV_Intel
モデレーター
762件の閲覧回数

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks and regards,

Aishwarya

返信