Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Help: Using Intel Thread Profiler on Linux

MikeP_Intel

I believe that thread profiler is a Windows only software as far as I can tell.But wheredo I find the linux install?

From what I understand; I can turn on the -tprofile switch on ICC then I can dump the info and open it in the Windows version of thread profiler. So while I have ICC and VTUNE installed on Linux, I don't know what I have to do to get the thread profiler switch on ICC to work?

I get that following response from the compiler:
icpc -g -O3 -tprofile -c cmd_lreader.cpp
(0): catastrophic error: tp10.ini not found; Intel Threading Tools must be installed

compilation aborted for cmd_lreader.cpp (code 4)

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
-tprofile would require that you installed the separately licensed Thread Profiler for linux:
https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=771&sn=
and set both the thread profiler and icpc environment variables.
As you said, linux thread profiler creates files which appear intended to be read in Windows thread profiler. I haven't been able to find out what may be required to take that step successfully.
0 Kudos
inkant
Novice
Quoting - tim18
-tprofile would require that you installed the separately licensed Thread Profiler for linux:
https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=771&sn=
and set both the thread profiler and icpc environment variables.
As you said, linux thread profiler creates files which appear intended to be read in Windows thread profiler. I haven't been able to find out what may be required to take that step successfully.
Hello Tim,

Does the link above allow download therad profiler for Linux ? I think it is not working.

Inkant.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
That URL should present a login screen which you could use if you have registered any Intel software tool application, either evaluation or purchased. The top level URL will offer to register any such application and open an account for both that site and premier.intel.com support.
If you are alluding to the fact that thread profiler for linux is not present on the screen which offers evaluation licenses, that is true, but does not mean there is no such thing. I would agree also that I could not recommend purchase of this product without evaluating it, and I find the openmp_profile option of the compilers sufficient in practice.
I don't know whether anyone has requested an evaluation of the linux version; if you have the Windows version, which appears to be expected, you could submit a request on premier.intel.com to find out what the policy may be. It's even possible that omission from the evaluation menu is an oversight.
0 Kudos
inkant
Novice
Quoting - tim18
That URL should present a login screen which you could use if you have registered any Intel software tool application, either evaluation or purchased. The top level URL will offer to register any such application and open an account for both that site and premier.intel.com support.
If you are alluding to the fact that thread profiler for linux is not present on the screen which offers evaluation licenses, that is true, but does not mean there is no such thing. I would agree also that I could not recommend purchase of this product without evaluating it, and I find the openmp_profile option of the compilers sufficient in practice.
I don't know whether anyone has requested an evaluation of the linux version; if you have the Windows version, which appears to be expected, you could submit a request on premier.intel.com to find out what the policy may be. It's even possible that omission from the evaluation menu is an oversight.

Thanks Tim,
This is helpful.
First that, I was not aware of openmp_profile option, I will try that out. and also request the evaluation version of Linux version for the thread profiler (or enabling the non-commercial download for the same.)

Best regards,
Inkant
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
Thread Profiler for linux also includes binary instrumentation. Once downloaded and installed, use the 'tprofile_cl' executable to run TP on your program. It will create a 'threadprofiler' directory with files that can be opened and viewed in the Windows version of Thread Profiler.
0 Kudos
rachit
Beginner

hi,

I am new to thread profiler i face another similar problem...i am not able to use -tprofile switch with gcc though intel c++ compiler is installed.. also tprofile_cl is only providing me with

Building project

Running: /home/Desktop/parser/threadedtest.gcc

Application finished

Intel Thread Profiler 3.1 command line (27583)
Copyright (c) 2007 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Usage: tprofile_cl []
[]

Select an executable to analyze in one of the following ways.
- Specify the executable on the command line
- Specify the application launcher (a script or other executable)
on the command line and select the executable with
the --exe_of_interest (-x) option

no summary report is generated..

Please help

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
tprofile_cl creates a threadprofiler directory in the current directory, and writes its data files there. You need the TP installed in Windows VTune to analyze the data.
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee

The usage message is probably displayed because the 'threadprofiler' result directory was not created. It appears the executable did not instrument properly.

Right after the "Building project" line, it should say 'Instrumenting' followed by some modules names and the instrumentation level. This only happens the first time, or after the executable has changed. Use the -c (--clear-cache) to perform the instrumentation again.

Could you provide the compile line for how you created threadedtest.gcc?

0 Kudos
rachit
Beginner

I got the error as the version of OS i was running it on was FC12 with gcc4.4...

i just added libstdc++.so.5 in my /usr/lib and all worked well..thnx

0 Kudos