Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Intel OpenCL solution - Rapidmind?!

DDd1
Beginner
Hi,

I am just wondering if the Rapidmind aquisition has anything to do with the adoption of OpenCL? Are there any demos of Rapidmind products? I read the whitepapers and it does appear to be quite a flexible and powerful solution.

Is Intel going to launch an OpenCL implementation soon?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JamesR
New Contributor II
Quoting - DDd
Hi,

I am just wondering if the Rapidmind aquisition has anything to do with the adoption of OpenCL? Are there any demos of Rapidmind products? I read the whitepapers and it does appear to be quite a flexible and powerful solution.

RapidMind currently targets CUDA, but I think a future version (maybe after we merge RapidMind with the Ct Technology project in Intel) should target OpenCL. I'd hope that would happen in 2010 - making that happen will depend on the maturity of OpenCL implementations we see appear from various companies.

RapidMind/Ct try to get great benefits by abstracting things to a higher level than OpenCL. I believe we'll succeed at that - the beta for that will start by the end of this year. http://intel.com/software/data_parallelis a page you can sign-up to get notified when the beta is ready.

As for OpenCL - yes, Intel will have a version in the future, dates TBD.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesR
New Contributor II
Quoting - DDd
Hi,

RapidMind currently targets CUDA, but I think a future version (maybe after we merge RapidMind with the Ct Technology project in Intel) should target OpenCL. I'd hope that would happen in 2010 - making that happen will depend on the maturity of OpenCL implementations we see appear from various companies.

RapidMind/Ct try to get great benefits by abstracting things to a higher level than OpenCL. I believe we'll succeed at that - the beta for that will start by the end of this year. http://intel.com/software/data_parallelis a page you can sign-up to get notified when the beta is ready.

As for OpenCL - yes, Intel will have a version in the future, dates TBD.
0 Kudos
DDd1
Beginner

Thank you James. I am curious about CT and have signed up for the beta.
I guess for Intel it really does not make sense to support OpenCL without Larrabee hardware.
0 Kudos