Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.
1696 Discussions

Intel pentium 4 with HT, 2nd thread " Disabled by User.

swapnilrustagi1
Beginner
Since, I am not a hardware expert( Well, I'm a Software master) I do not open my desktop computer(opening means opening the CPU BOX). Rather, I use EVEREST Ultimate Edition v5.50 for getting hardware details. My Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 2.4A Ghz as reported by Intel Processor ID utility shows that I do not have HT(Hyper-Threading because my CPU does not support it. But EVEREST showed two cores, one enabled and the other's status "Disabled by User". It is correct because my BIOS specifications show that I have a Pentium 4 with HT processor. How can I enable HT?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
I'm not an Intel employee. However, I know what you're talking about.
A few years ago, I waste money on a motherboard that supported 16 GB RAM. It worked fine with 8 GB RAM. However, when I upgraded to 16 GB RAM, it had a horrible bug in the BIOS. I had to wait for 6 months to use the BIOS upgrade. Any OS took 10 minutes to boot because of the bug that made memory run 100 times slower.
It seems that either your BIOS or your motherboard don't support Hyper-Threading. Some utilities like Everest show information considering the CPUID or the capabilities reported by the CPU.
What does CPU-Z tell you about the CPU?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
timintel
Beginner
If your CPU supports HT, there will be a BIOS setup option to enable or disable it. It's entirely possible that a previous owner changed the setting. For example, they may have wished to run software with threading bugs. It's also possible that some were sold with HT disabled at the fab, in which case you would have no way to enable it, even though your processor ID utilities see the feature.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
The BIOS option might have one of the following names:
Hyper-Threading Technology
Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
HTT
Intel HTT
The option name depends on the BIOS manufacturer and version.
If you find one of the aforementioned options, you should change the value to Enabled.
Cheers,
Gaston
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
You can also check the Processor information offered by PC Wizard. PC Wizard is free and you can download it from www.cpuid.org
Click on Processor, then on Processor again and search for Hyper-Threading within the Information tab.
What does PC Wizard say about Hyper-Threading?
For example, it might show the following text:
Features Hyper-Threading :
Technology : Yes - Disabled
This means that it recognizes Hyper-Threading support in the CPU. In this case, search for the options I mentioned in my previous answer in the CMOS Setup.
Cheers,
Gaston
0 Kudos
swapnilrustagi1
Beginner
Actually my case is something very strange. This is the whole story. I have a PC with out-of-date bIOS. Once my PC started troubling when I formated and reinstalled XP. It talked something about BIOS upgrade. A reinstall of Windows XP, cleared the problem. I was confused and then started looking for BIOS updates because I always wanted that my PC has up-to-date drivers. I found that my BIOS came with an Intel Pentium 4 processot with HT tech in the BIOS specifications. Even ark.intel.com search says that. I went to my motherboard manufacturer website and asked for support and they replied that my moterboard supports Intel HT. Any sort of help is greatly welcomed.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
If you cannot find one of the options to turn on / enable Intel Hyper-Threading Technology, either the BIOS or the motherboard don't provide real Hyper-Threading support.
0 Kudos
swapnilrustagi1
Beginner
I know what you are saying is correct. But take a look at this. Lavalys EVEREST shows that my processor does not support Hyper-Threading. But strange, it also says that it has detected a second thread, which is "disabled by user". My BIOS specifications tell me that my BIOS fully supports Intel HT and that my BIOS came with a Intel Pentium 4 HT processor. I have no option to enable disable Intel HT in my BIOS but my BIOS manufacturer says that there must be an option. I know I should not contact Intel for this but Intel's own Processor ID Utility claims that HT is not supported.
ANY SORT OF HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
I'm not an Intel employee. However, I know what you're talking about.
A few years ago, I waste money on a motherboard that supported 16 GB RAM. It worked fine with 8 GB RAM. However, when I upgraded to 16 GB RAM, it had a horrible bug in the BIOS. I had to wait for 6 months to use the BIOS upgrade. Any OS took 10 minutes to boot because of the bug that made memory run 100 times slower.
It seems that either your BIOS or your motherboard don't support Hyper-Threading. Some utilities like Everest show information considering the CPUID or the capabilities reported by the CPU.
What does CPU-Z tell you about the CPU?
0 Kudos
swapnilrustagi1
Beginner
@Gastn C. Hillar

I understand what you want to say. My BIOS manufacturer GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY claims that HT is supported. The GIGABYTE technical support website website also claims that. If the motherboard were to not support HT, why would the manufacturer help me in the first place???
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
I've told you all the info I know about Hyper-Threading support. There's nothing else I could do to help you with your case.
0 Kudos