Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Mixing kernel space and userspace in a new kernel.

JLie
Beginner
Hello, I was thinking of creating an open source kernel (with block already written in the linux kernel obviously). Now I would like to hear from experts what are the dangers to run in ring0 if no users and no external connections are done. We are in a situation in which the processor is isolated from the whole world. No one can mess with it. all the processes running on top of it have to register and are created and compiled by root using a specific memory range. No process can be launched without the acceptation of root. No human accesses it. The code running inside is reviewed and we have facilities to be sure no other memory range than the one we expect each process to use can be used. That is for the -restrictive- context. Now, could we imagine it be possible for such a kernel to exist or are there some limitations that I don't predict ? The kernel is to be massively specialized, hence the "almost starting from scratch". Thanks for your insights, Jog
0 Kudos
0 Replies